Rats..🐀

iowavf

That anhydrous ammonia is some mighty temperamental and rough stuff depending on the weather etc. Under the right (wrong) conditions, it can hurt you (or worse) real bad. Stuff scares the shiit outta me.
You are correct, it's nothing to mess with for sure. Can't believe more meth heads didn't die from it when they used it to make meth?

mike52

Lowes sells a Gopher Gasser that should work on rats. Looks like a big firecracker and puts out a gas that will seep into cracks . 5 pack $9.98

Tenntrapper

Want to borrow my little friend? She is an A1 mouser....AND she gets rid of the evidence... 😂
IMG_20221124_115147.jpg

casjoker

Supporter
Oddly, these things avoid traps like the plague. I think they just go from their hole at the base of the pen into the duck pen and back. Completely nocturnal. I had to use a trail camera to see what was actually making the holes. I completely surrounded several holes with sticky traps. didn't catch a single one and they dug a new entrance about 6-8" from the old entrance where the sticky traps were. They are more skittish than 4.5 year old 180" buck land buck. Going multiprong, cornstarch, and baking soda, as well as the gas from Lowes. I will post the results in a day or two.

Planking

You can catch mice all day but rats are smart. You kill one or two and the others figure it out. Garbage can trap, Victor rat traps, gas bombs and poison if you don't want to get rid of your animals.

Tom Collins

Secondary poisoning is very low for your dogs if they ingest poisoned rats. I put out around 300 lbs of rat poisoning a year and I’ve never had an issue with my dog or dogs being affected by ingesting a poisoned rat, and unfortunately I’ve seen him eat them before I could stop him. Same with the barn cats I’ve got on the farm, they eat them all the time and nothing happens.

Tom Collins

Know anyone with a couple ferrets? I worked for a farmer who bought a couple just for the rat problem. They kill them or the rats run alway. He would also have the co op fill 20lb tanks with anhydrous with a hose and piece of pipe attached. Stick it down the holes and open it up. Stand by the holes with shovel and kill the ones that made it out.
This is off the charts dangerous and I could not recommend against anything more lol

TNTomtaker01

Put a hose pipe down the hole they either drown or come out of there, or maybe a gallon of gas or two then a shovel full of dirt on top, maybe the fumes will take care of them.

trex

Cover all the holes you can find excepted two, one on one end and one on the other.
Get a hose and clamp it to an exhaust on a car truck or tractor and put the other end
in one of the holes a foot or two in and cover it good to seal around hose. Start vehicle and
pump the exhaust in for as long as you think it may take to gas the varmints.
This is one of the ways we did it on the farm.

eddie c

Has anyone ever tried this? combine one cup of flour or cornmeal with 1 cup of sugar or powdered chocolate mix. 3. Then add 1 cup of baking soda and mix it thoroughly. The chocolate mix or the sugar attracts the rats to eat it and the baking soda will soon kill them once it has been consumed
Instead of baking soda use borax. Borax is poison to everything. I use it with honey for insect killing.

iowavf

Funny story on killing rats. Shelled corn for all our neighbors when growing up and the first time we went to this guys corncrib, he had a 2 ft tall solid board fence around it. The fence funneled down to a narrow opening into the field. Guy parked his riding lawn mower at the end of the opening and left it running. About 3/4 through the crib, the rats were thick and started to leave, they ran for the light and right through the blades of the mower. At times it would pull the mower down a little, but it sure worked.

Latest posts