Smokeless Range report.

Smokeless

Jcalder

Being new to this I'm sure there's a lot I can clean up. I'll also venture to say I need more range time. With that being said, I'm pleased. First setup was roughly 35 yards trying to get my scope close enough to move to 100. After a few shots I was close. Recoil was nothing like I expected. Definitely not as bad as a max charge of bh209. I would guess closer to a 308. Hooked up the chrony when I got to 100. Rotated between the smokeless and the 243. I wasn't impressed with the velocity but I'm sure someone will comment. I also don't know how 30 degrees will affect it.
31dc1f63c1bec5fceef66ebfa166bb4c.jpg
ffef19edecfe4def7b3225d5c3475aa1.jpg
one of the 4 shots in fairly certain was from sighting in. Thinking it's one of those on the right of the bullseye

Next 3 shots
28ed42acb6743bdd7898a29d148b56d0.jpg
7455e33910e7d3f50ba9ccbe6944b39f.jpg

Load is 60gr h4198. Primer is federal 209A. Light blue harvester sabot with 200 gr sst
41572477a3037524bd8485e20fd35bda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jcalder

Re: Range report.

While I had it setup I ran the 243 over the chrony as well. It didn't shoot as well as I expected but as I said, I need to more range time. I was tickled with my data tho
ef14207090cefff2cea664c77c2e0437.jpg
100gr Speer btsp over imr4350. Cci 200 primer. Fed brass.

Roost 1

Looks to me like you are on the right track. H4198 is temperature sensitive. Duplexing would help some. N120 or Reloader 7 might be better options for you. You won't have any trouble killing deer with what you are shooting now. You can prolly bump that H4198 up to 62gr in this cool weather. Sabot looks great.

Jcalder

Roost 1":3m9h35xb said:
Looks to me like you are on the right track. H4198 is temperature sensitive. Duplexing would help some. N120 or Reloader 7 might be better options for you. You won't have any trouble killing deer with what you are shooting now. You can prolly bump that H4198 up to 62gr in this cool weather. Sabot looks great.
thanks!!! Being new to this I've got a ton to learn. With a duplex load do you put your propellant in first and then your main charge or do you mix them. If you don't mix them it seems it would be a hassle while in a hunting situation.

Roost 1

Booster goes first... do not mix them. Not really a hassle at all but some prefer a single charge.
I personally prefer N120 but it can be hard to find. Buddy of mine used RE7 with great results.
Your velocity will go up in warmer weather. I think 45-55 degrees is perfect temps for shooting/testing smokeless loads.
Today is a little on the cold side and 70 is a little on the warm side. Need to post a pic of your sml for us to see.

Jcalder

b2f7a5d0ed2aae64963d164627536bff.jpg
. If we get another warm day I'll try to get back out there. It does seem that most have trouble finding the 120. What I meant by the hassle with a duplex is having to carry more reload tubes. Make sure you grab the right one first.

Jcalder

And also, I hope you are correct with the velocity. I was a bit disappointed. And the extreme spread concerns me as well

TennSportsman

Your velocity is a little low. I shoot 62.5 H4198 with 200SST out of mine and getting an average of 2650 fps, although, mine is a completely different rifle. Takes a lot of trial and error with smokeys but when you find your load, you won't go back. Good luck.

Jcalder

TennSportsman":3cdyd0i1 said:
Your velocity is a little low. I shoot 62.5 H4198 with 200SST out of mine and getting an average of 2650 fps, although, mine is a completely different rifle. Takes a lot of trial and error with smokeys but when you find your load, you won't go back. Good luck.
I was hoping for 2550 on the low end of the velocity. If this powder is that temp sensitive than I'll try again on a warmer day. Not sure what gun you have but the consensus is breakdowns can't handle what a standard build can. And if you have a heavy barrel they can handle more lol. But not really having any way to know your pressure I'm a bit skittish on pushing the envelope. At least with a bolt action cf you'll have a sticky bolt or squared primers.

TennSportsman

Yeah mine is a heavy barrel (McGowen). There's plenty of info out there if you can find it. Luke at arrowhead is helpful on answering questions and use one of his builds.

Roost 1

Your break action can handle 62gr of H4198 however when temps get over 70deg you will run the risk of blowing a sabot if you don't allow the barrel to cool between shots. Lots of pressure traces on Doug's message board. If you can't find them, I'm sure Jerry can tell you the upper limits.

jlanecr500

Velocity is low. I'm curious how tight the fit is. Put the gun on an analog (non digital) bathroom scale. Zero the scale. Push a bullet with sabot down the bore while monitoring the scale. For good performance, it should require more than ten pounds all the way. If it is loose, knurl the bullet up a little.

Jcalder

Roost 1":36o97j52 said:
Your break action can handle 62gr of H4198 however when temps get over 70deg you will run the risk of blowing a sabot if you don't allow the barrel to cool between shots. Lots of pressure traces on Doug's message board. If you can't find them, I'm sure Jerry can tell you the upper limits.
I've seen them but didn't pay a lot of attention to them. Thinking I had a hard time reading them on my phone. I'll look again tho.

Jcalder

jlanecr500":2tlgjrpm said:
Velocity is low. I'm curious how tight the fit is. Put the gun on an analog (non digital) bathroom scale. Zero the scale. Push a bullet with sabot down the bore while monitoring the scale. For good performance, it should require more than ten pounds all the way. If it is loose, knurl the bullet up a little.
I don't have a scale but they loaded fairly easy. I'll round up another file and see about knurling

fullstream

If that's your first outing I'd be pretty excited. Knurling might tighten up your groups and give ya a lil more speed. Might try going up or down a grain as well. SML's are pretty addicting as most on here would agree.
Best of luck and have fun finding a combo that works for your gun.

Jcalder

fullstream":3ppqvwn3 said:
If that's your first outing I'd be pretty excited. Knurling might tighten up your groups and give ya a lil more speed. Might try going up or down a grain as well. SML's are pretty addicting as most on here would agree.
Best of luck and have fun finding a combo that works for your gun.

I was very pleased other than the velocity. I figured I may have to play with the charges but I'm slower than anticipated. Planning on getting some files and working on it. This coming weekend may have better weather but I'm not sure I'll have the time lol.

Roost 1

There is also a tan sabot that normally comes with the SSTs, they are thicker. These might work for you. I have plenty and dont mind to send you some to try. Pm your info if interested in trying them.

GMB54

I would bet a dollar the the Pittman 225gr .402 would perk up that load. Its my opinion that the larger caliber and more weight will help 4198 sabot load be more efficient. I dont think you are getting a good burn for whatever reason. 4198 and a 200gr sabot load makes pretty low peak pressure.....even 60gr is relatively low.

N120 peaks a tad higher but its still plenty safe for that barrel. 58gr of N120 will easily beat the speeds you got. Ive heard of so many people having sabots fail using 4198 with loads WAY slower than the loads of N120 ive shot and never blown a sabot. 60gr of N120 in my 27" Pacnor was clocking about 2800fps and it never blew a sabot either.

How is it that this 4198 load is known to blow sabots but this load on N120 has been virtually flawless?
ndMRHSK.png

j0IUdEO.png

Jcalder

jlanecr500":3i9smqu6 said:
Where are you located?

I'm in the Knoxville area and I have a substantial collection of 40cal and 45 cal projectiles that we can try. I have a feeling that since the combo loaded loose, there is a bullet out there that will fit without sizing. Also, Jeff Hankins has his smooth form die on sale til 12/31 for $140
http://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net ... mited-time
I'm in cookeville. If it wasn't Christmas time I'd probably spring on the die. But I'm also not sure that I really need one. I know I'm hankins videos he states a lot of the cva rifles don't require sizing. I may pick up some to try

Latest posts