Smokeless Range report 2

Smokeless

Jcalder

After last weeks troubles I had several PMs. Y'all are truly good people and all the advice is appreciated. Jlanecr500 contacted me and said he'd be down my way and he'd help me get it straightened out. Started off with r7 and the velocity wasn't there like last week.
133b14ed57b575652e1a5d1ae46a54da.jpg
Shot a couple groups with some Parker be 275 and I eventually had a squib load. Jlanecr500 decided it was time for a duplex. Velocity of the duplex and parkers. I do think this can be improved with playing of the powder charges.
6e1c1d854bfec25a68cf054a98c065d9.jpg
I didn't take any pictures of the group with parkers but the sst was very impressive. Ended up with a 10/50 of sr4759/imr4198. Harvester light blue and 200 gr sst.
7d9548940ae457af2928414953e92308.jpg

Huge THANK YOU!!!! to Jerry. Very much appreciated. I will try some more loads hopefully early spring. This gives me a good start. Planning on trying some Barnes and more parkers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roost 1

Couldn't ask for more with a group like that. Just curious, what did Jerry think of your loading pressure? Did he think it was fine or a little loose? Sorry you didn't get the stuff I mailed you in time to try them today.
Jerry is a great guy that will go out of his way to help people out.

Jcalder

Roost 1":20pl3her said:
Couldn't ask for more with a group like that. Just curious, what did Jerry think of your loading pressure? Did he think it was fine or a little loose? Sorry you didn't get the stuff I mailed you in time to try them today.
if I remember correctly he said it was loose but not terribly bad. After I seated one it was tighter than I remembered last week. I'm gonna guess I was used to the optima. Those were tight. The Parker loaded easier than the sst. Except one. I might could have got it down the barrel but it woulda been tight. I should get the stuff you sent Monday or Tuesday. Planning on trying them out as well. I'll do a report on those as well. At this point I'm not truly sold on anything. Hard to argue with my group but I know the Barnes is a reliable killer within my hunting range. The Parker showed promise but it wasn't as good a group. I'll probably get some and play with them a bit. Lots of options and learning to do but at least I've got something I can use for now.

While it has been a huge learning curve for myself I do plan to continue to do range reports. From an economical standpoint the cva or similar break action is the way to go. But I haven't really found a ton of info. Or in my case I had slow velocities with proven loads. I hope this data helps in the future. Even Jerry commented that he thought my chrony was off. I don't know what his velocity normally is but I did get to shoot one of his customs[emoji2]. Woman don't know it yet but this won't be my last smokeless

Jcalder

I'll also say the recoil wasn't terrible. But.... last weekend with the sst it was like shooting a mild 308 load. Once we got the velocity like it should of been it went to somewhere between a 30-06 and 300mag. Big difference but wasn't bad.

Tennessee Lead

Jcalder":ruwx1o6g said:
I'll also say the recoil wasn't terrible. But.... last weekend with the sst it was like shooting a mild 308 load. Once we got the velocity like it should of been it went to somewhere between a 30-06 and 300mag. Big difference but wasn't bad.

[emoji12]
I figured that little light weight piece could get rowdy lol

jlanecr500

Jcalder":2rngucj6 said:
Roost 1":2rngucj6 said:
if I remember correctly he said it was loose but not terribly bad. After I seated one it was tighter than I remembered last week. I'm gonna guess I was used to the optima. Those were tight. The Parker loaded easier than the sst. Except one. I might could have got it down the barrel but it woulda been tight. I should get the stuff you sent Monday or Tuesday. Planning on trying them out as well. I'll do a report on those as well. At this point I'm not truly sold on anything. Hard to argue with my group but I know the Barnes is a reliable killer within my hunting range. The Parker showed promise but it wasn't as good a group. I'll probably get some and play with them a bit. Lots of options and learning to do but at least I've got something I can use for now.

While it has been a huge learning curve for myself I do plan to continue to do range reports. From an economical standpoint the cva or similar break action is the way to go. But I haven't really found a ton of info. Or in my case I had slow velocities with proven loads. I hope this data helps in the future. Even Jerry commented that he thought my chrony was off. I don't know what his velocity normally is but I did get to shoot one of his customs[emoji2]. Woman don't know it yet but this won't be my last smokeless

While I rarely load a saboted bullet, I felt like it loaded just right. It is definitely tighter than any H&R that I've loaded which means it might shoot a 195 barnes well too. I would knurl the barnes a little and I've even seen a wool wad used under the sabot that worked very well. I have to say that the barrel is very consistent and has no tight spots at all. It loads, even fouled, as smoothly as most match grade barrels that I've loaded. Even sabotless loading the 275be. He's hooked now !

Latest posts