Random Miscellaneous Questions

Spurhunter

Grab a spider switch whenever you walk through the woods. A spider switch is 4-5 ft long about 3/8 inch in diameter preferably a green limb with some flex to it. I can be heard from hundreds of feet away whipping it like a bullwhip in front of me with ever other step at real or imaginary spider webs. This practice will make you proficient so you could flick a flea off a bull's ear without alarm. When you do smack that spider the size of a silver dollar square it's deeply satisfying. Deer and other critters have rightfully deduced the sound is a human who's clearing the woods of spider webs and they also are deeply thankful.
I could've written this post word for word!

BSK

I keep promising myself I'm going to buy a couple of those recreational whip antenna-flags people attach to the back of their ATV for playing in sand dunes and attach them to the front of my ATV to catch spiderwebs. I really hate riding my ATV through the woods this time of year. Spider webs in the face, and the occasional orb-weaver spider the size of a quarter in the face, are no fun. I've nearly crashed several times from wildly trying to swipe a big spider off my face.

Years ago, someone used to sell a big flexible "Y"-shaped spider catcher for the front of ATVs. I've looked and can't find it on the market anymore.

Spurhunter

Ticks are bad in places here, and like someone else said, they are no joke. Alpha Gal, Lyme Disease, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever are among the fun afflictions they are causing here. Permethrin is your friend.
Good advice here. Sawyer's Permethrin is available at Walmart or most sporting goods stores. It's in a yellow bottle. I've found the Repel Permethrin in the orange and blue can to be very ineffective. Keep one pair of pants and one shirt treated for anytime ticks will be a threat.

philsanchez76

Looks like you got all your questions pretty well answered. Most permithern says its lasts on your clothes around 6 weeks, so I usually treat 2 shirts and 2 pairs of pants mid September right before the opener and wear those until mid to late October when the frosts hits. By that time you won't really need to reapply it in my experience. I also treat my rubber boots and always tuck my pants into the boots and tuck shirt into pants. ticks always work their way upward. so if your pants aint tucked in, they go right up your leg and end up in your no no special spot. Best day 0f the year every year is first frost. no mosquitoes, flies, ticks, chiggers. just awesome. good luck this year.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Good advice here. Sawyer's Permethrin is available at Walmart or most sporting goods stores. It's in a yellow bottle. I've found the Repel Permethrin in the orange and blue can to be very ineffective. Keep one pair of pants and one shirt treated for anytime tick
I get mine in gallon jugs on Amazon. It's a lot less expensive. I am in the field year round and have found ticks on warm days almost year round. Inspect closely as seed ticks can be so hard to see at a glance.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
NO-SEE-UMS
All great advice above but they left out the one real mind bender! In Tennessee there is a force that exists so powerful it cannot be seen yet it can and will feed on your person leaving only the victim scratching and rubbing their hands, neck and any exposed areas feverishly like a madman having a breakdown!
Welcome to the woods, in Tennessee where it can be 20 degrees at dawn and 75 at 2 pm!
Dress in interchangeable layers and know that shivering is your hypothermic body making a last ditch effort to warm itself while exhausting your last energy…
Lol

Union Co. Boy

I will also give a bit of advice. If you plan on hunting during early season or fishing creeks and rivers during warm weather, invest in a Thermacell if you haven't already. It will also take care of the Noseeums mentioned above. Welcome to Tennessee and good luck!

SC Manimal

Grab a spider switch whenever you walk through the woods. A spider switch is 4-5 ft long about 3/8 inch in diameter preferably a green limb with some flex to it. I can be heard from hundreds of feet away whipping it like a bullwhip in front of me with ever other step at real or imaginary spider webs. This practice will make you proficient so you could flick a flea off a bull's ear without alarm. When you do smack that spider the size of a silver dollar square it's deeply satisfying. Deer and other critters have rightfully deduced the sound is a human who's clearing the woods of spider webs and they also are deeply thankful.
Been using this method my entire life but never knew the proper terminology. Thanks fairchaser, spider switch it shall henceforth be known as.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I have watched deer eat pig nut hickorys.
Did they look like this?

Funny-Squirrel-With-Deer-Face.jpg

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I get mine in gallon jugs on Amazon. It's a lot less expensive. I am in the field year round and have found ticks on warm days almost year round. Inspect closely as seed ticks can be so hard to see at a glance.
Best Tick advice I've read . They are usually on Bushes waiting to jump on unsuspecting critters that brush against them. They crawl under dead leaves during cold weather.They reemerge if we get a little warm weather.
Tn doesn't usually get real cold except a few weeks in Late winter. It's like a yo yo during deer season up and down. Squirrels like the hickory nuts. and will keep you on your toes if you're hunting near one. Many Oaks in Tn. Learn to ID White Oaks. If you can have one and hunt around it. They will come one of their favorite foods.

Last edited:

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Best Tick advice I've read . They are usually on Bushes waiting to jump on unsuspecting critters that brush against them. They crawl under dead leaves during cold weather.They reemerge if we get a little warm weather.
Tn doesn't usually get real cold except a few weeks in Late winter. It's like a yo yo during deer season up and down. Squirrels like the hickory nuts. and will keep you on your toes if you're hunting near one. Many Oaks in Tn. Learn to ID White Oaks. If you can have one and hunt around it. They will come one of their favorite foods.
If you want a real treat and don't mind working for it Hickory nuts are Good, Real Good !! Use a Pecan Pie recipe and substitute Hickory nuts for pecans. Or put some in Homemade ice cream it's worth the effort.

swd

I buy 10% permethrin for about $20 / quart and mix 1.5 oz to 27 ounces oz water in a spray bottle. I spray all of my clothes in August and in March with the exception of my really heavy winter gear. I have a milder form of alpha gal that has affected me a couple of times in the last 15 years. I do not get the severe reaction like allergy to fat in soap. I have incredible stomach pain after eating red meat or pork. The pain lasts for about 8 hours and is crippling. The affect lasts about a year after a tick bite.

Being that I love red meat, I am pretty cautious about ticks. Since I started this protocol, I have not been bitten. I have watched ticks crawl on my pants in turkey season and laughed gleefully as they writhe and die...

Latest posts