Food Plots rain

tnanh

I broadcast wheat on Tuesday. There was a chance of rain for the three days after and not a drop. None in the extended forecast either. How long will the seeds survive with no rain? The plots got an inch and a half on them last weekend prior to me broadcasting the seeds. I bush hogged the thatch on top of them yesterday. Will there be enough moisture in the soil from the rain last weekend to get germination? Will the cooler temperatures help?

JCDEERMAN

With these cooler temps, the seed will be just fine. I'm willing to bet the birds got their fair share of the seed. Ours germinated just fine from the dew itself with this weather and no rain. We planted just like you (right after a rain). Putting the thatch on top will help protect it.

You'll probably be just fine. Just wait for it to come up and if it's not to your liking, I'd broadcast some more wheat or cereal rye right on top of it. But this time, do it right before you know it will rain

tnanh

Thanks. With the weathermen, we never know when it will rain. If I have to over seed, I may do it while it is actively raining this time.

JCDEERMAN

That is a sure fire thing to do! There is nothing better than planting right as it starts drizzling or sitting on the back porch a few hours after you're done planting and it starts raining!

Boll Weevil

If you have lots of turkeys might have to replant. Once they find it, they'll be in there everyday until it's either gone or sprouts. Ask me how I know.

tnanh

I do have a few turkeys. My fiest busted up a good size group about three weeks ago. I only have one trail cam working right now due to poor cell signal with leaves on the trees but as of today there haven't been any turkeys in that plot but there are three other plots. Thursday there were some doves stuffing themselves but my that wasn't cut yet.

TNTreeman

Got my green fields in this morning. As I finished it began to rain and is doing it tonight also. My corn field is great looking and is still green but should brown out soon. I plan to leave it standing and cut a strip to my stand and throw out some wheat and oats.

tnanh

So far, spotty germination. Doves and crows been hitting it hard but still
Seeds that have not germinated. Going to overseed in about 8-10 days with wheat and clover.

tnanh

Plots are looking better. Clover never really did much in the places crossbow was sprayed the heaviest but it did not seem to affect the wheat. Overseaded with wheat, clover and cereal rye last Thursday. Looking pretty good today.

tnanh

This is today in one plot. They turned out pretty good. Thanks megalomaniac and jcdeerman for the help.

Attachments

• CC91E862-BFAE-426A-9F94-ADB2D70CF92E.jpeg
    CC91E862-BFAE-426A-9F94-ADB2D70CF92E.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 91

megalomaniac

Almost too pretty... it doesn't look like a huge plot, I would have expected to see more browse pressure. Perhaps they are just on the acorns right now and will transition to the plots late Nov

tnanh

I hope so too. I think the "too pretty" part is due to a depleted herd from EHD summer of 2019. All my plots are small but close together on the same series of ridges. This one is the biggest. About 35 yards wide at its widest point and 130 yards long. Hope when the population comes bac up some of the deer will remember where my food plots are.

JCDEERMAN

I hope so too. I think the "too pretty" part is due to a depleted herd from EHD summer of 2019. All my plots are small but close together on the same series of ridges. This one is the biggest. About 35 yards wide at its widest point and 130 yards long. Hope when the population comes bac up some of the deer will remember where my food plots are.
Right there with you! I believe you are in the same area as we are. EHD devastated us last summer - my guess is 60% loss of overall population, with 80% buck loss....almost unimaginable. Yes - when they do bounce back, it won't take them long to find it.

Latest posts