Radiant floor heating

N

nwsg76

Has anyone every had radiant floor heating in concrete slab?
What was cost?
Can it be DIY?
Pros vs cons???

X-Tennessean

X-Tennessean

I have never had it personally but have been in several huge farm shops (120x300) that have it, amazing the difference!
From what I hear it takes a while to get it to temp but once there it maintains it pretty easy.

One of the shops I was in had two huge electric water heaters and had them zoned off, would run both for start up and once to temp would cut back to one water heater to maintain.

M

mike243

It's a even heat once you have the flooring warmed up,like any thing else it has its pro's and cons but it wont save you any money and may cost more to repair at some time,look at forums to the north for info on that type of system as it is used more in colder climates with boilers gas oil and electric fired

LanceS4803

LanceS4803

A buddy of mine is a contractor in UT. Used radiant heat (PEC buried in concrete, I think) in the garage floors. One customer had it run all the way down his driveway, 150yds, to melt the snow in the winter. Took two boilers to keep it up and running.

B

brass magnet

LanceS4803":2jyt12pw said:
A buddy of mine is a contractor in UT. Used radiant heat (PEC buried in concrete, I think) in the garage floors. One customer had it run all the way down his driveway, 150yds, to melt the snow in the winter. Took two boilers to keep it up and running.

I saw a guy set up like that back in the 70's, way up on a hill, you can't hide money! :tu:

M

mike243

Best I remember the boilers look like large water heaters,not sure of the efficiency rating ,

N

nwsg76

I was thinking about doing an "open system"...that way I could run same tank less system as my hot water.
Not sure if that is best option or not.

T

turk870

nwsg76":2plhktcm said:
I was thinking about doing an "open system"...that way I could run same tank less system as my hot water.
Not sure if that is best option or not.
helped a guy with on the east end of county with one, closed system on both floors.he used a locinvar knight boiler. As far as I know he is happy with it, haven't asked him about it in years.
I can't imagine an open loop being efficient at all.