raccoon proofing feeder

rodeojoe

I am putting out a feeder to keep track of the Bucks in the area with a game camera.
Last year I had problems with raccoons and the feeder corn.
How are you guys keeping them off the feeder plate?
The feeder is a tripod setup. Greasing the poles didn't work.
They come in pairs, and seem to like their picture taken.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLBLman

Sounds like I had a feeder similar to yours (although this was many years ago).

My best solution, and it has worked flawlessly ever since, was to simply haul the feeder to the county landfill, and leave it there.

I've had no more problems with coons eating the deer corn since doing this.

TheLBLman

I had problems with raccoon, but believe more of my deer corn was actually eaten by crows and turkeys. The turkeys eventually disappeared, but there never seemed to be a shortage of crows (which may often be migratory?).

Chief44

Sounds crazy but I greased the poles with crisco on a feeder one time. Raccoon couldn't climb the slick poles. Would reapply when I filled the feeder.

megalomaniac

X2 on the DP's !! I use tiny marshmellows and wear them dam coons out . Do your part and trap trap trap
X3

It pisses off some of the other members on my lease when I put out traps on feeders they fill for deer hunting, but if someone doesn't do it, all feeding the coons does is triple their population. I've killed 8 off a single feeder before.

Some of the members appreciate my trapping, as it saves them a ton of $$$ in corn, plus the damage the coons do to the feeders.

soggybottom

2" PVC pipe On the whole length of the all three legs after I done this no more problems
They just slide back down.
It's funny watching it on video.

rodeojoe

I have used 2" PVC pipe and grease so far. My feeder is to low, 2 adult raccoons push each other up enough to grab the bottom. They keep pulling out the corn until it gets stuck. trapping may be the way to go in this case.?.?
Thanks for the ideas

Latest posts