Quota Hunt Data - 2020 vs 2021 - 35% increase in applicants

th88

this is a BUNCH of garbage. I work in the field of licensing for other states including NY and NV. At one time I actually worked on TN with their previous contractor (they currently use Brant for their system)

Brant 100% stores resident vs NR data based on identifier type and even address information. They have it they just dont want to report on it.

I also found it interesting they copied folks on the e-mail when they sent me the data. Reckon they don't want us to see the big increase in NR apps?

REN

I also found it interesting they copied folks on the e-mail when they sent me the data. Reckon they don't want us to see the big increase in NR apps?

Probably but just odd they would flat out say they have no way to report on it. Either he is an idiot and has no idea how the system works or was just to lazy to find out.

Andy S.

OP - what kind of "request" did you initiate? What was process you went through? Full blown FOIA or just an email sent? Some others may want to use your request as a stepping stone to further request the OOS applicant data.

th88

OP - what kind of "request" did you initiate? What was process you went through? Full blown FOIA or just an email sent? Some others may want to use your request as a stepping stone to further request the OOS applicant data.
Just sent an e-mail to the public request e-mail address at the bottom of this page under "Public Policy Request"

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I would like to know how they can take more hunters that quota spots? Hunts 1, 3, 5, 9, 10, & 11 all have more than number allowed. Especially the Yuchi hunts on 10 & 11. 10 has 12 and 11 has 11 hunters selected.

th88

I would like to know how they can take more hunters that quota spots? Hunts 1, 3, 5, 9, 10, & 11 all have more than number allowed. Especially the Yuchi hunts on 10 & 11. 10 has 12 and 11 has 11 hunters selected.
I figure from folks applying as a party.

Example, 9 of 10 spots are filled. The last name drawn has applied with a partner. They draw both. So now 11 folks are drawn for a hunt with a cap of 10. I'm not positive on this, but know some other states do it that way.

RustyFishhook

Exactly.
Resident hunters can now expect more years in between being drawn for quota hunts, along with reduced bag limits.

IMO, we really need to go to a 2-bird statewide limit now.
Main reason TWRA has it set at 3 is to increase non-resident license sales?

Notice that more of the public hunting areas are no longer "bonus" birds, in part due to an influx of non-resident hunters. Delicate balancing act between selling enough licenses (to fund the WMAs, personnel, etc.) while still not greatly harming the "resource" of our turkeys. Main "resource" being harmed is resident hunters?
But isn't 3 in the spring down from previous years limits of 4 birds? I remember them changing it to 3 after spring 2020 specifically dude to the increased harvest reports.

Andy S.

^^^ Yes, this will be first year of 3 male bird statewide limit since the 2020 change. Numerous other changes this year as well for TN turkey hunting, depending on which part of the State one hunts in.

TheLBLman

^^^ Yes, this will be first year of 3 male bird statewide limit since the 2020 change. Numerous other changes this year as well for TN turkey hunting, depending on which part of the State one hunts in.
Correct.
My biggest problem with TWRA's turkey management is they have been extremely slow to react when changes were obviously needed.
Very little proactivity with the turkey management.

Hopefully, the turkeys won't mostly disappear like the quail.
(TN's quail going nearly extinct was not caused by TWRA.)

jason2779

I have been putting in for PI for 24 years this year will make 25 and have been drawn only one time! Maybe it will be lucky #25 or a once in a lifetime hunt for me the way it looks the later is probably what it's going to be!

sgtwebb1

this is a BUNCH of garbage. I work in the field of licensing for other states including NY and NV. At one time I actually worked on TN with their previous contractor (they currently use Brant for their system)

Brant 100% stores resident vs NR data based on identifier type and even address information. They have it they just dont want to report on it.

I suspect they're scared of the backlash if we knew just how many out of state hunters were included in those totals.

Layne

I have been putting in for PI for 24 years this year will make 25 and have been drawn only one time! Maybe it will be lucky #25 or a once in a lifetime hunt for me the way it looks the later is probably what it's going to be!
you'll probably get drawn after the deer get CWD and TWRA goes in and removes them...

Hunt 365

There is a way for residents to game the system as well, and some most likely do it. A lot of households have several sportsman license holders of all ages, but only 1-2 actually hunt. They all apply for quotea hunts (age 6 and over), which runs up the number of "total applicants", but only the 1-2 will go on the hunt if they are selected. Food for thought.
I've never thought of this. That's pretty sorry.

Andy S.

I probed a little deeper to see what I could turn up on this request for information. I wrote a lengthy detailed email to Commissioner Hank Wright that serves District 9 where I live. I sent the email this morning at 9:01AM, and he replied at 6:35PM. Considering he has a full time job and a large family like most of us, I was impressed with his responsiveness and attention to detail. Here is his reply verbatim. I did bold the part that many of you want to know. Assuming applicants have not moved addresses since application period in Dec/Jan, the 5% (160 OOS applicants) looks to be the answer.

"Andy,

The information I was able to find on your question is as follows:

The staff member that you received this data from is correct. We do not have a report readily available that provides this data. The data that we have regarding addresses is as of present day and not at the time of application. As such, a detailed record request could be submitted if you are wanting the more specific information (address at the time of application). However all is not lost because the information we have may correlate very closely in that the addresses we have are current day and not addresses at the time of application. It seems logical to me (I could be wrong) that not that many applicants have moved out of TN or moved into TN since application. To find the addresses at the time of application we would need to query the database for information based on time of application submission. My understanding is that a fee may be assessed based on time, effort and volume of results returned (scope of work).

In the event that information for present day non-residents, based on the reports that we have currently, we show that less than 5% of the applicants were non-residents. Now again, this is the customers current address and not necessarily the address at the time of application.

I hope this helps!
Hank"

REN

Yeah that makes a lot more sense "available at this time" meaning they just didn't have a report from brant build for this request. That's much different then we don't have a way to report on it.

Latest posts