Quota Hunt Data - 2020 vs 2021 - 35% increase in applicants

th88

Did an information request to get this. Wanted to see the increase in non-resident apps, but they don't keep track of that. Thought ya'll may enjoy.

Dmv1iKd.png

voTRhh9.png

megalomaniac

Holy crap, 35% increase in applications...

You can expect to add another year to your wait time....

Any data regarding NR vs resident applications? In other words, where did the dramatic increase come from?

Andy S.

No surprises there to me, especially with COVID and how public land hunting has been promoted on YouTube and social media over the last 5+ years. #HuntingPublic is seeing success. Thanks for sharing.

Andy S.

Did an information request to get this. Wanted to see the increase in non-resident apps, but they don't keep track of that. Thought ya'll may enjoy.
It's all electronic, the information has to be in the database. Maybe ask them for total number of 2021 applicants with out of state addresses. Sort one column by State and voila you have the answer, or close enough for comparison sake. Getting that information each calendar year will allow you to see the trend yourself. At 3 birds, I still feel TN is a highly sought after destination for those traveling OOS turkey hunters.

Last edited:

Andy S.

There is a way for residents to game the system as well, and some most likely do it. A lot of households have several sportsman license holders of all ages, but only 1-2 actually hunt. They all apply for quotea hunts (age 6 and over), which runs up the number of "total applicants", but only the 1-2 will go on the hunt if they are selected. Food for thought.

TheLBLman

No surprises there to me, especially with COVID and how public land hunting has been promoted on YouTube and social media over the last 5+ years.
Exactly.
Resident hunters can now expect more years in between being drawn for quota hunts, along with reduced bag limits.

IMO, we really need to go to a 2-bird statewide limit now.
Main reason TWRA has it set at 3 is to increase non-resident license sales?

Notice that more of the public hunting areas are no longer "bonus" birds, in part due to an influx of non-resident hunters. Delicate balancing act between selling enough licenses (to fund the WMAs, personnel, etc.) while still not greatly harming the "resource" of our turkeys. Main "resource" being harmed is resident hunters?

TheLBLman

By they way, please note that LBL's quota turkey hunt is no longer a "bonus" bird, AND the ANNUAL limit (for LBL) has been reduced to one (1) bird (that bird also counting towards the statewide limit).

This is a significant reduction in turkey hunting opportunities for public-land resident hunters living near LBL.

In the case of LBL's limit reduction, it's not just because of the influx of non-resident hunters, but also due to realizing the fragility of ongoing turkey populations, the influx of feral pigs, and the turkey limit simply being too high in the recent past.

When the LBL quota was a "bonus" bird, many accomplished turkey hunters mainly hunted LBL just to increase their annual kill beyond limiting out statewide, i.e., they could kill 4 birds each spring instead of "just 3".

All the above has contributed to LBL's current turkey population being on the low side now.

Hopefully, LBL's "resource" of turkeys is now being better managed for the future, albeit the management failure in controlling the pigs may negate it all.

Carlos

That's interesting. The Agency will need to schedule additional manpower during these hunts.
(Hint-hint)

I hunt public land, and it's pretty much the only land I use. When I see increases like these, hunter safety comes to mind, first of all. If there's a vehicle or 4 wheeler parked within 500 yards of where I plan to hunt, I always find somewhere else to go.
Stay safe out there everybody.

th88

TN needs a non-res allocation like other states. For example, FL only allows 10% of tags to NR's. I play the allocation game in other states, NR's can play the game here. But if the idgets don't keep data, they won't know where to set the percentage.
Partially correct on FL.

They only law 10% of Special Opportunity tags for non-residents. Normal quota hunts are unlimited to non-residents, for now. I suspect that will change in the future.

REN

View attachment 69002

This is what I was told about res and non res data.

this is a BUNCH of garbage. I work in the field of licensing for other states including NY and NV. At one time I actually worked on TN with their previous contractor (they currently use Brant for their system)

Brant 100% stores resident vs NR data based on identifier type and even address information. They have it they just dont want to report on it.

megalomaniac

Partially correct on FL.

They only law 10% of Special Opportunity tags for non-residents. Normal quota hunts are unlimited to non-residents, for now. I suspect that will change in the future.
you are referring to the daily quotas at the daily WMA sign in's, as the 'normal quota hunts', correct?

th88

you are referring to the daily quotas at the daily WMA sign in's, as the 'normal quota hunts', correct?
Nope. Florida has limited entry/quota hunts on a point system that you must be drawn for. There is no non-resident cap. There is also Special Opportunity hunts that are basically lotto tickets. If you are lucky enough to draw one, you then have to buy a pricey permit ($100-$175). The SO hunts are the cream of the crop. There is a 10% NR cap on them.

Latest posts