question

Cuttin Caller

Staff member
Let me explain.
The place I hunt the owner is nice enough not to charge well actually I lease it for a $1.00. :)
Anyway, talked to him back during turkey season and again today. He had told me back then that someone had loaned him a gun, to kill coyotes with.
A buddy of mine had suggested I purchased a gun for him just because he is so nice to do what he does for me and my son. BTW he is my Uncle.
Anyway, I do not know for sure how much he knows about firearms and I do not want or should I say feel comfortable enough to question him on how much he knows.
So I wanted to ask yall.

What would be a nice but cheap, basic nothing fancy gun I could get him for coyotes.

Oh yeah when I do get him one I will show him or maybe I will have a buddy of mine show him the ropes about it.

Thanks yall.

Tikkabuck

For a decent inexpensive shooter I'd go with a Howa myself but the Savage is a good one to. If it was just for yotes I'd say a 223 or a 22-250,if he was to throw in deer also I'd say 243.

statelineRUT

Stevens 243. $289 at most stores. Very accurate and dependable rifle.
100_4816.jpg

Here is the one I have right out of the box.

Locksley

statelineRUT said:
Stevens 243. $289 at most stores. Very accurate and dependable rifle.
100_4816.jpg

Here is the one I have right out of the box.

The trigger is a bit stiff, but easily fixed with an aftermarket trigger. Accuracy is around 3/4" at 100yds with factory ammo.

It's the same gun as the Savage 110, just no Accutrigger and a synthetic stock. Read up on the 110's, you won't find too many unhappy customers.

fishboy1

CC,
If he is just looking to pop at some yotes think about a NEF single shot in 243, 223

Put an inexpensive but decent scope on it, bushnell or simmons.

They are very simple to use even with gloves on or stiff hands. Not much maintainance.

The Stevens, Mossberg, or savage package guns at wallys are decent too.

CBU93

All good advice thus far. I would suggest a .243 for the simple fact that he may want to pop a deer or two himself. In a bolt I would look at Savage...but the HandiRifle has my interest as well.

firefox

How far are the song-dogs away? If less than 100yds I'd get him a .22 Magnum with a Bushnell or Tasco 4 power scope. If the 'yotes are further than that they ain't too much of a problem and if they are he knows your phone number :)

statelineRUT

CBU93 said:
All good advice thus far. I would suggest a .243 for the simple fact that he may want to pop a deer or two himself. In a bolt I would look at Savage...but the HandiRifle has my interest as well.
I have both the NEF Handi 243 and the Stevens 243. They are great rifles for the money. Stevens is far more accurate from the bench, but the NEF flat puts them on the ground.

Plateau Hunter

I would recommend a Stevens M200 in .223-it would be/is the perfect inexpensive, reliable, and accurate coyote rifle. Ammo is relatively cheap and available everywhere. I see most have recommended the .243 and that would work but it is way overpowered for a 'coyote' rifle imo. Top it with a Bushnell Trophy or something similar and never look back. Plateau Hunter

mike243

243 out does all the caliburs mentioned looking at factory loadings avalible,all the caliburs will kill yotes & deer if hit properly,there is the matter of $ when its time to buy ammo,find a rifle you can afford & im sure he will love it no mater the calibur.mike243

Tiny

If you do decide to go with a Savage package migth want to look around for one with the Clip Magazine.I find these or those with hinge floor plates to be better for people who aint all that familiar with rifles.

Just a thought.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Just from knowing what I do about him and what / how he will be using the gun I would recommend the following.
H & R Handi rifle in the .243 or perhaps even the .308, but knowing how bad he hates the yotes I would say the .243 would be the best route to go.
I would throw on a decent scope as well. Get one good enough to handle the ride behind the seat of his farm truck but not break the bank.
His limited experience with guns in general tells me to go to the simplicity of the single shot.
He is probably like alot of "ole men" around the farm and when he does shoot, he probably won't need but one shot anyway.
Just my humble opinion.

Latest posts