question:

ImThere

Buy the cartridge laser for your rifle. Makes life very easy. It's like sighting in rifles for dummies it's so easy. What's weird is I'm almost alway low left on every rifle. Usually like 6" low and 8" left give or take. That's with the 2- 3006, 308, 3-270, 22-250 rifles I own. It was more off with the high rings on the auto loaders.

philsanchez76

ive never used one. I like fiddling and dialing my equipment so id rather use up the extra 2-3 cartridges in actual shooting than purchase the bore site. Even a brand new scope, ive never had to take more than 2 shots to get on paper at 50 yards. By shots 4-5 im pretty much there at 100. However, I could see if you had a large family or something and were siting in multiple rifles for a bunch of people, it could save a lot of time to bore site them.

Omega

I have a couple lasers, used them for years, always on paper (I like gadgets). They come with instructions, which say you can boresight at a target 50-100 yards away but should be placed at a distance roughly the distance your scope is above the bore if the target is closer, I do mine at about 10-20 yards. I've used the old remove the bolt method too, and it works but I have some weapons that the method won't work on so that is why I got the laser in the first place. With my lead sled I am usually zeroed in about three rounds, with a couple more without the sled to make sure.

rifle02

The laser boresighters that actually fit in a chamber I believe are pretty good as they actually Shine Down the bore. I used to use one that had several mandrels to fit the muzzle. It was crap. My technique was to turn the thing in the muzzle, fortunately the mandrels were plastic so wouldn't damage the bore. When shining it at the side of a neighbor's garage if I rotated that thing in the bore it would scribe a 6 ft diameter circle at 40 yards. So I learned how to adjust the crosshairs to the middle of that 6-ft Circle. Worked pretty good but I only used it on guns where I could not actually look down the bore, for instance a semi-auto such as a BAR or rem 742.

Omega

The laser boresighters that actually fit in a chamber I believe are pretty good as they actually Shine Down the bore. I used to use one that had several mandrels to fit the muzzle. It was crap. My technique was to turn the thing in the muzzle, fortunately the mandrels were plastic so wouldn't damage the bore. When shining it at the side of a neighbor's garage if I rotated that thing in the bore it would scribe a 6 ft diameter circle at 40 yards. So I learned how to adjust the crosshairs to the middle of that 6-ft Circle. Worked pretty good but I only used it on guns where I could not actually look down the bore, for instance a semi-auto such as a BAR or rem 742.
Yea, that is a fact, and the same can be said for the look through the bore method, but I have found that it is close enough to get on paper most times. The thing with the cartridge lasers is that you have to have one for each caliber, which would be way too cost prohibitive for me.

Jcalder

Yes it would help and save ammo, but I don't have one and still do it the old fashioned way.
I have had a few set up with one and finished it off at the range.

Side note: also if you fall and the rifle gets hit, you can check to make sure that you are still on.
A bore sighter should never be used to check your zero.

MUP

I know several use one, but I never have.

My method is as follows:

1) Bring scope back to center before mounting.
2) Ensure everything is tight and scope is level when mounting
3) Shoot at a poster board size target at 25 yds. Make adjustments to get close to the dot.
4) Move to 100 and adjust from there.

If you have a quality scope that moves appropriately, it doesn't take many shots to get where you need to be.

A bore sighter might save me the 1 to 3 rounds I shoot at 25 yds but never felt the need to buy one and have lined up a bunch of guns. It's not wrong to have one, but a couple of questions to ponder..How many guns are you going to be lining up in the future? How much ammo would you have to save to justify the cost of a quality bore sighter?
Plus, it's just fun to shoot a few times, instead of just once or twice. ;)

Lone Hunter

I always use the pull the bolt and look down the bore method. It doesn't take many shots to sight in the rifle plus it gives you an idea if the scope is tracking properly. Shoot at 50 yds, hold rifle still and adjust to point of impact. Take it to 100 yds adjust. Works on AR's too plus shotgun barrels with scopes.

Jcalder

You can't just say that without giving the reason.
Barrel harmonics. The fact bullets don't fly in a straight line, more of an arc. Way too many variables. Same reason if you change ammo weight, it may not change vertically, it could change any direction. Just like ballistic charts. Only way to know for sure is verification.

rifle02

Yea, that is a fact, and the same can be said for the look through the bore method, but I have found that it is close enough to get on paper most times. The thing with the cartridge lasers is that you have to have one for each caliber, which would be way too cost prohibitive for me.
Yeah you're right about having to have more than one depending on caliber. Some company made them in caliber families for example 270 30-06 25-06 Etc 243, 7- 08, 308 Etc.

rifle02

Years ago I had a neighbor who left a bright red coffee mug on top of a concrete wall at his house. It was about 50 yards from my workshop window. I could hold a rifle in a vise, look through the barrel and Center that red coffee mug. Customers reported being in the black on the first shot, amazing. I hated it when he finally moved that coffee mug. Nowadays I have a driveway reflector out at the street I can see it through a window, can see it through the bore of a rifle held in a vise on the workbench that works good too. But you still have to actually fire the rifle at a Target.

Jcalder

Years ago I had a neighbor who left a bright red coffee mug on top of a concrete wall at his house. It was about 50 yards from my workshop window. I could hold a rifle in a vise, look through the barrel and Center that red coffee mug. Customers reported being in the black on the first shot, amazing. I hated it when he finally moved that coffee mug. Nowadays I have a driveway reflector out at the street I can see it through a window, can see it through the bore of a rifle held in a vise on the workbench that works good too. But you still have to actually fire the rifle at a Target.
Your last sentence is spot on. So many wanna skip that part, cause shells are "expensive". Then we end up with a dozen threads about how they missed their target buck, gut shot it, if I'm 4" high at 100, will I be dead on 500 threads.

Latest posts