question:

C1295

I seen in a forum yesterday where someone mentioned using laser bore sitting to get on paper when sighting in a new scope. How many of you all use this method? If so how far do you sight it with the laser and then where do you start when shooting? Thought that may be a good idea to get it on paper and waste less rounds dialing it in. Just never used one so curious if one would be worth buying. (and before anyone says it I am not dumb I know you cant sight one in with one... just wondering if they benefit from them if they use them.)

peytoncreekhunter

I've never used a laser to get on paper. I always start at 15yrds to get on paper and zero it there. Then I move to 25yrds and zero 1 inch low. Then I move to 50 to check and zero the windage. Then I move it to 100 for the final zero. Usually it's just a click or 2 to adjust at 100 for the final zero.

Wolverine72

I use a BSA bore sighter. The system may be different than laser. It comes with instructions.
It's the same one a lot of stores use and charge 10-20 unless you buy the scope from them. It's usually free if you buy from them and they set up.
Academy and bass pro used to do it, not sure who else.
I too start at 25 yds when I start shooting

Sako

I've never used a laser to get on paper. I always start at 15yrds to get on paper and zero it there. Then I move to 25yrds and zero 1 inch low. Then I move to 50 to check and zero the windage. Then I move it to 100 for the final zero. Usually it's just a click or 2 to adjust at 100 for the final zero.
No offense intended but you would save a lot on ammo costs with a purchase of one....

C1295

I always use one... Always start at 100 yards... Almost always on the paper if not, it is very near the paper. Makes it much easier. Take just a minute or two at the house to set the scope, go to the range and go directly to 100 yards, shoot, adjust, done.
that's exactly what I was hopping to hear, thanks Sako.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
Yes it would help and save ammo, but I don't have one and still do it the old fashioned way.
I have had a few set up with one and finished it off at the range.

Side note: also if you fall and the rifle gets hit, you can check to make sure that you are still on.

C1295

Yes it would help and save ammo, but I don't have one and still do it the old fashioned way.

Side note: also if you fall and the rifle gets hit, you can check to make sure that you are still on.
That right there is genus I'm buying one just for that if anything.

Wildcat

I have been using a laser bore sight for all my rifles for years. In the evening before dark I'll sight it in at 100 yards with the laser then the next morning I'll shoot the rifle to finish sighting it in. Except for one time, my first shots have always been inside 4 inches of bullseye. Totally worth the money.

TN Larry

I know several use one, but I never have.

My method is as follows:

1) Bring scope back to center before mounting.
2) Ensure everything is tight and scope is level when mounting
3) Shoot at a poster board size target at 25 yds. Make adjustments to get close to the dot.
4) Move to 100 and adjust from there.

If you have a quality scope that moves appropriately, it doesn't take many shots to get where you need to be.

A bore sighter might save me the 1 to 3 rounds I shoot at 25 yds but never felt the need to buy one and have lined up a bunch of guns. It's not wrong to have one, but a couple of questions to ponder…..How many guns are you going to be lining up in the future? How much ammo would you have to save to justify the cost of a quality bore sighter?

Wildcat

It's happened to me a couple of times. At camp in places like LBL you can't shoot so back at the truck I'll check the sight with the laser at 100 yards to see if I'm still on.

Crow Terminator

I never thought I had much use for one until Midway had some on sale that tempted me. Every gun/scope I have used it with, has gotten me on paper at 100. My new .308 was exactly 3" to the left and about 2" low at 100 after using the laser bore on it.

C1295

I never thought I had much use for one until Midway had some on sale that tempted me. Every gun/scope I have used it with, has gotten me on paper at 100. My new .308 was exactly 3" to the left and about 2" low at 100 after using the laser bore on it.
that's pretty dang good for a laser. I got one ordered.

Jcalder

I've used one, it stayed in my drawer for years until I gave it away last week. Simplest method I've found…..

I have a big sign. About 4 foot tall and 2.5 foot wide. Put a target at the bottom. I've yet to see a scope hit low. Start at 25 yards. 95% of them hit high, and it usually takes 1.5-2 revolutions to get close to centered on paper. Unless it's something that's shooting slow and heavy, I wanna be an inch low at 25. That'll get you within tweaking distance at 100.

Snake

Maybe the boresight I had was a cheap POS, but after doing a .308, I shot it and it was waaaay off. My normal method is to put the rifle in a test, remove the bolt/breech plug, and get the scope and bore pointed at the same place. That'll get you on paper at 25 yards.
This is how i do it but only for those you can remove the bolt .

Latest posts