Question regarding registering a KAYAK in TN?

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

I have a kayak that I intend on putting a trolling motor on. From what I've read it needs to be registered in the state of TN. I have a sales receipt from Basspro when I purchased it. Can I get some advice on how to proceed with registration? The county clerk is where most people go with a boat registration but all I have is a standard receipt nothing with the VIN on it. I have tried calling both Jackson and Nashville offices and cannot get a hold of anyone on the phone. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Flint

There should be a hull identification number (HIN) on it somewhere, mine do. It's my understanding that you need the HIN for the county clerk.

leeinmemphis

you're right about the HIN. The problem is my receipt doesn't not have a HIN number on it and the county clerks office will not take it like that.

Hduke86

They really just need a picture of the HIN and your receipt to see what you paid for it. I don't think they'll cause much of a fuss over it. Once it's done the HIN will be linked to the TWRA hull numbers and registration so I think you're good with the receipt and a picture but like I mentioned earlier just toss it in the back of your truck when you go.

Biggun4214

Take the receipt, it shows you have paid the sales tax. You can take a picture of the HIN or just write it on a piece of paper. You will need the HIN to put on the application. The clerk will give you a temporary registration that will do until you get your permanent one from TWRA.
The HIN should be on the rear right side of the kayak.

eddie c

When you put any kind of motor on it, it has to be registered.
Odd you can't raise anyone at those offices.
The times I dropped my deer heads off at the region 1office the only person there has been the radio dispatch since the virus .
I would call the boating division in Nashville.
Pretty sure there's a serial number for warranty registration.

Biggun4214

i would put hull id as my social security number and hand write a bill of sale and keep on living
The SSN doesn't conform to HIN standard and if it is engraved or attached to the kayak. It is illegal to possess a boat with a altered HIN, which using a SSN would be considered an altered number

Last edited:

Biggun4214

The HIN should be on the rear right side of the kayak.
It will either be engraved or a visible plate. All commercially built boats are required to have one. If it is homemade then you can apply for a HIN through TWRA or the Dept of Revenue.

rifle02

Keep looking for the HIN. I went through this process putting an electric motor on a canoe recently. In my case the number was melted or stamped into the plastic hull. You will need your sales receipt to show that sales tax has been paid. I believe in Tennessee that canoes and kayaks are considered paddlecraft and not normally powered by a motor.