Question on Reelfoot permit/license

'borohunter

Have a buddy from out of state that will join me at Reelfoot in January. I've always purchased a Sportsman's license so never really been an issue for me. Anyone know what license permits he'll need to hunt? Appears 072 (7 day small game/waterfowl),088 (Reelfoot lake permit) and of course duck stamp. Does he need a HIP or anything else?

Thanks all.

Displaced_Vol

If he has a HIP # in his home state, I think that will suffice. Have him bring it or screen shot it on his phone. I've never hunter reelfoot but it sounds like you have everything else covered. Somebody that knows more can confirm

TAFKAP

No reason not to get the HIP. It's free, which costs a lot less than the risk of not having it.

Might need to verify a specific WMA access permit as well, which may not be covered by the Reelfoot Preservation Permit

TheLBLman

How did going hunting ever get so complicated and confusing,
just to be assured one is "legally" hunting?

Hey, Ruger, I also didn't know for what HIP stood.
I was thinking maybe hip boots,
as they do come in handy for about everything I do around water.

Last edited:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
How did going hunting ever get so complicated and confusing,
just to be assured one is "legally" hunting?

Hey, Ruger, I also didn't know for what HIP stood.
I was thinking maybe hip boots,
as they do come in handy for about everything I do around water.
It all started with the blind grab

Smashdn

Money. It is death by a thousand cuts, boiling a frog, etc.

On the one hand I get that it takes money to manage all this ground but when they aren't managing the ground and instead trying to catch you on these petty offenses and additional tags, licenses, permits and what not I kind of get irritated.

MickThompson

Money. It is death by a thousand cuts, boiling a frog, etc.

On the one hand I get that it takes money to manage all this ground but when they aren't managing the ground and instead trying to catch you on these petty offenses and additional tags, licenses, permits and what not I kind of get irritated.
I don't know the history on the Reelfoot permit but the HIP is a federal requirement to measure hunting effort on migratory birds. States can't have dove, duck, goose, woodcock, even crow season open without requiring the HIP. It's how the feds measure hunter effort on migratory birds and select who to send wing surveys to. I got one for doves two years in a row.

Smashdn

HIP is a survey not a permit. If they are charging for it they are getting more of your money. In KY there is a migratory bird permit (doves, woodcock, etc.) and a state waterfowl "stamp." The latter covers the former.

Latest posts