Question On Getting Started

Just curious, how many of you guys that talk of taking away birds from the limit do predator controll? Trapping coons and other nest raiders. You just do the talk or do you do the walk too. What the limit is should be for your area, does'nt mean it should be state wide.

Didn't want to hijack the "Harvest report" thread so I moved the question here.

So let's say as a public land only hunter I want to contribute to predator control on the public I hunt, (I know, I know, I'm not allowed to post where that is 😝😬😆) , what is some advice you would give to someone, namely me, that wants to get started trapping on public?

Thanks!!

Trapper

I've trapped a few wma's and it's not easy but it can be done . I was mainly trapping for cats when the money was good but it was tuff dealing with the rabbit hunter's and deer hunters but I did it , neither one wanted me in there but constantly fussed about the declining population in the area . Had a few told me to wait till their season was over before I started , I was the reason they wasn't seeing any deer I was spooking all of them , it didn't have anything to do with they was only 50 yards from the truck and in the middle of the road . I would suggest getting in there further back majority of people are within 200 yards from the entrance , one of the places I trapped had a road that ran through it no access to drive just walk in only it was a mile from the gate to the back . I never saw anyone in the back and i trapped that place for a month one year . Good luck hope it works out for you

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
There are plenty of resources on the internet on trapping your target species. Do that work, make your lists of what you need. Start small, Make mistakes, Keep at it. Join a trapping organization in TN. (TN Fur Harvesters). Ask questions. Order a couple books The tide will eventually turn for fur prices, maybe not in my lifetime! Lots of resources out there. Pick n choose the good ones.

Farm manager

Tennessee Fur Harvesters Association along with TWRA, are conducting more and more trapping training courses across the state. Check the TFHA Facebook page for more information.

squirrel_hunter

Buy some less expensive traps too use on public land. I was running duke 1 3/4 offset 4 coil traps. Was catching some nice bobcats. Someone fount 2 of my traps. One had a bobcat in it by the sign it left. Got both traps and my animal. I was doing it to help the qauil and turkeys out. So i pull all my traps in the area. I wont go back.

Latest posts