Question on Gas Odor

JeepKuntry

I bought a boat last month. This is the first boat that I have personally stored in a garage. The motor has been run twice, and after storing the garage has an odor of gas. I've popped the cowl, and don't see any gas. Is it normal for a gas smell to linger for some time?

sharpshooter

Never had the luxury of storing my boat in a garage but if the odor is that bad close the gas tank vent. Better for the tank to leave it open though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JeepKuntry

I'll have to check that. My Norris Craft was built in 1980. Metal tank that I don't recall seeing a vent. Maybe that is why I never noticed an odor. It was stored in my grandparents garage.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I assume it is an outboard?
Are you leaving the fuel line hooked up to the motor?
If so, is there any gas on the floor under the motor?

SilverFox

Self venting tank. I always just leave the compartments open and let it vent. If I did that I never smelled anything. If I closed them and let it build up it was pretty rough if left for weeks. I also ran a fan in the garage 24/7 to circulate air and dry up any water left on the boat. My new boat doesn't seem to do it.

WTM

SilverFox":3k0h941y said:
Self venting tank. I always just leave the compartments open and let it vent. If I did that I never smelled anything. If I closed them and let it build up it was pretty rough if left for weeks. I also ran a fan in the garage 24/7 to circulate air and dry up any water left on the boat. My new boat doesn't seem to do it.

+1. i have to leave the hatch open. our waverunners are worse if you dont leave the seat gapped.

JeepKuntry

I'm gonna try running the fan. The tank isn't in a compartment. Just at the back of the boat. And the fuel line was disconnected. It just bugs me because I keep some of my hunting items there. Going to move those to different place.

Latest posts