Question on DP

JCDEERMAN

A first for me. Did my check yesterday and one of my Z traps was gone! Anchor hardware was all there but the trap was gone from the chain up. The chains on most DP's are kinda light, so either change out the chains or inspect them regularly. Best I can figure is I had a big coon and he was able to twist it up enough to get leverage on a weak link.
How old was the trap? I don't see how this is possible, unless there is rust fatigue? Don't have a pic of it by chance do you?

hammer33

How old was the trap? I don't see how this is possible, unless there is rust fatigue? Don't have a pic of it by chance do you?
No photo. just the screw style quick link on the end of some snare cable. Trap is about 09 years old. Rust is possible but I dont' remember seeing any on those traps though.
the only other possible explanation is someone unscrewed the link, stole the trap, and reclosed the link. BUT didn't touch the other trap 6 feet away. Oh and the chewed up the dixie cup I put over the top to keep the rain and birds out. :p

JCDEERMAN

No photo. just the screw style quick link on the end of some snare cable. Trap is about 09 years old. Rust is possible but I dont' remember seeing any on those traps though.
the only other possible explanation is someone unscrewed the link, stole the trap, and reclosed the link. BUT didn't touch the other trap 6 feet away. Oh and the chewed up the dixie cup I put over the top to keep the rain and birds out. :p
Yea something was wrong with the connector. I use wire and crimps and make a loop around a tree about 5" in diameter and weed eat everything around it so they can't grab and pull. Haven't had any go missing, but I'm only 3 years into it. Sounds like you've been at it a while - I bet something just came loose. We have 30 out. I have had a couple chew their arm off. Just the paw in there upon arrival 😳

hammer33

For coons I prefer to check first thing in the morning. Often they are sleeping. It seems when I check in the afternoons there is a little more paw damage.

JCDEERMAN

For coons I prefer to check first thing in the morning. Often they are sleeping. It seems when I check in the afternoons there is a little more paw damage.
I really don't care as long as they're there and are killed 🤣. We caught a coon a couple days ago that had a "nub" for a front leg. He had obviously been caught before and chewed his hand off. I guess he didn't feel like having two "nubs" 🤣.

Farm manager

Definitely can and will catch skunks in them too.. I always knew that, but confirmed it when I had a skunk back to back nights 🥴
I caught 18 skunks in dp's before I caught the first coon in one. I was using the waste chocolate from M&M Mars for bait

Latest posts