Question on Binos

ruthunter

I'm looking to upgrade binos, currently using Leupold Mojave BX-3 12x50. Looking to stay under $1000. Are you better off buying a 10x than a 12 or 15x? At 53 my eyes are not what they used to be, clarity is more important to me, trying to identify a certain rack at 400 yards is more my issue. Leupold has the bx-4 now, wondering how much difference between bx3 and bx4? I hunt fields a good bit now, most are not longer than 600 yards. These would be used for fields. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

ADR

Using 15x a bipod or stabilizing device is almost required. Not as bad with 12x. I would recommend 10x with excellent glass (or as good as you can afford).
Doug at cameralandny.com is an awesome dude to deal with. If you call him with a budget in mind he can usually direct you to a few options that best serve your goals.

skipperbrown

Agree that CameralandNY is A+.

If you are sizing a rack at 600 near dusk with binocs, you will need to spend a ton of money and need a cart for hauling the tripod and glass. I would either look at sandbagging a min 70mm spotting scope at about 32x or buying a riflescope with a large objective lens and 25 to 35x top end. I have older Lecia 10x40 binocs (from Cameraland) and my 3x15x52 NF scopes are much better for trying to count points. There are much brighter riflescopes out there than NF, but you are looking at $1500 as a starting point for medium tier glass and $2500+ for top tier. You can get a nice spotting scope for a grand and I'd go for a straight vs angled as you will need to get on target fast with minimal movement. That said, the competition precision rifle shooters are opting for high power binocs over spotting scopes nowadays for spotting hits at 1000+ yards. But the cost of equipment doesn't seem to bother these guys, their guns weight 20+ pounds and they are only traveling 100' from their truck to the shooting line. If you are shooting at 600 yds, you probably have a pretty expensive setup already.

I'm trying to count points out to 250 yards. The problem I have using a spotting scope in a shooting house is transitioning from the scope to the gun quickly without making a racket plus the additional weight of hauling it in and out. There isn't room for a tripod so the spotting scope has to be sandbagged. Plus the best place for it is always the best place for my rifle. It is also hard to track something moving with a sandbagged spotting scope. Additionally, most tripods are not designed to pan either.

I have a monopod for my binocs and it works great for stabilizing the glass and panning is effortless. However, I seem to always bump something when putting them aside.

Finally, the big racks I see in an open field are usually not there very long and I don't have the luxury of spending a lot of time moving from one magnifier to another, so I have decided to primarily rely on my riflescope.

Good luck with your quest!

rickyk280

I got a pair of Steiner 10x50 Military Marine binoculars I have had for over 30 years they have a seen a lot of rough. Sent them back about 10 years ago had them checked over and re armored. A little on the heavy side but great for long distance viewing.

Jon54

A year ago, wife and I drove to Arizona and Utah to visit a number of National Parks. I rented a pair of stabilized Canon binoculars. Wow. If I was still into hunting, I'd buy a pair. We are headed to Yellowstone this fall and I'll rent another pair.

ruthunter

A year ago, wife and I drove to Arizona and Utah to visit a number of National Parks. I rented a pair of stabilized Canon binoculars. Wow. If I was still into hunting, I'd buy a pair. We are headed to Yellowstone this fall and I'll rent another pair.
Wow, didn't know you could rent binoculars, where do you rent them at? I'm planning on going out there in a few years

Carlos

That's pretty cool, in that a person could try them out before buying.
I like it.

Latest posts