Question for you legal minds

M

Matador

Today we went back to deer camp to take cook tents down, get generator, couple of campers and general cleanup. Nothing missing in camp, but when we took the tarp off of small camper my son uses we found two bullet holes in the camper. One was through the back window down low and the other one was just above the window. We figure it happened in the last two weeks. My question is what could they be charged with if caught. They shot from the road and really had no way of knowing if anyone was in camper. We know a lot of the locals after camping out there since1983. We might or might not get a name eventually.

Deer Assassin

Deer Assassin

Supporter
First you have to find who did it

Prove they did it
Since no one was killed

Might get them gross negelecence or something

muzzy76

muzzy76

it can never be proven...move camper a safe distance from road...never walk that property without a firearm...keep chuggin

WTM

WTM

Supporter
i would say reckless endangerment(with a deadly weapon class e felony)

M

Matador

Forvols":3voptvnc said:
Any chance or guess on caliber size? deer gun or squirrel rifle. Should be some interior evidence. Kids taking pot shots maybe.
Bullet hole looked to be 45 caliber. We have a lot of redneck younger ones from the local community who drink and ride their 4 wheelers on the weekend. Figure it was one of them. Hard to get our all of our campers away from the road. Camping place lays close to road. Figure we will at least put some hidden trail cams out across rd next year.

TRIGGER

TRIGGER

muzzy76":2cqkk1jy said:
it can never be proven...move camper a safe distance from road...never walk that property without a firearm...keep chuggin

This is what I’m thinking. You will never get conviction on it. Don’t let it consume you just keep it in the back of your mind and make decisions based on this for future visits.

Camp David

Camp David

About 23 years ago, my place of work had 2 bullet holes in it. Both near my office, but in the bathroom next door. We called the cops. Never found the spent rounds. Nothing ever came of it.

It would fall under some sort of reckless discharge at best, based on my legal experience, which is limited on this.

P

pass-thru

Things like this are proven all the time, when an investigation points to a suspect, and the suspects admits to the crime when questioned by police. Such an admission is often sufficient to support a conviction.

As far as endangerment goes....if there was nobody inside, then who was endangered? Probably would be a property crime.

T

TennesseeBob

In a situation like this hearsay won't work someone would basically have to admit to it without any other proof

Camp David

Camp David

pass-thru":263aygoc said:
Things like this are proven all the time, when an investigation points to a suspect, and the suspects admits to the crime when questioned by police. Such an admission is often sufficient to support a conviction.

As far as endangerment goes....if there was nobody inside, then who was endangered? Probably would be a property crime.

So by your assessment, it's OK to just shoot at a mobile trailer as long as no one was killed or injured? Does the perp do a drive by first to determine if someone is home, or does that matter?

Come on pass-thru, you've been around long enough to know better than that.

P

pass-thru

Camp David":231d8c4x said:
pass-thru":231d8c4x said:

So by your assessment, it's OK to just shoot at a mobile trailer as long as no one was killed or injured? Does the perp do a drive by first to determine if someone is home, or does that matter?

Come on pass-thru, you've been around long enough to know better than that.

I don't think you read my post very carefully. If you did, then there's no point arguing anyway.

U

Urban_Hunter

Call me a poon but that would scare the crap out of me. Someone wanting to just damage property and cause headache I would assume would shoot tires, air conditioners, the generators, etc. Someone shooting at the windows... that's someone messed up

B

BlackBelt

Reckless endangerment and vandalism/destruction of property.
If the person is caught there could be other charges depending on the circumstances and the specifics of that person.