question for you boaters

wlf89

i am looking for a 14-16ft aluminum boat that i will catfish and turkey hunt out of, my question is how much difference is there in the regular flat bottom and a modified v bottom? i will be in shallow water alot and on the lakes and tn river with it.

does the mod v ride alot smoother or not very noticeable? and can the mod v go as shallow as the flat?

Crappie Luck

Staff member
The flat bottoms are better for stability when fishing and a little shallower water. but if you are going to be running a river and larger bodies of water where chop is an issue, the modified v-bow is going to help a lot with cutting through waves. A flat bow jon boat will beat the heck of of you of choppy water.

You are not going to lose much as far as water depth. What's more important is to get a boat long enough that you can get the bow to the bank under it's own power. the 16'-18' feet is going to do that better than a 12-14.

I hunt along a river a lot and a couple of ft of boat length can make the difference in wet ft vs dry foot. Even if you have to get out and pull the boat, a couple of feet off the bank can be the difference in 6" of water depth vs 3' of water.

Last edited:

Crappie Luck

Staff member
Also, a longer boat is going to run better when you are by yourself. The shorter the boat, the more power it takes to get them up on plane. The shorter the boat with only your weight and the motor on the back will tend to stay in the "Hole" longer and the bow will ride higher costing you speed, gas and control.

Crappie Luck

Staff member
Oh, one other thing, Width.
Get the boat with the widest bottom you can get. 48" is fine for boating and maybe standing and fishing. But it's too tippy for hunting out of - IMO.

A 60"-70" is much better. When you beach the boat and your have guns, stands, backpacks etc throwing off your center of gravity when you are climbing up front and back, you don't need the boat rolling around on you. Plus, you need as much room in the boat for gear so you are not tripping on it and falling out.

When you are using a boat to get to hunting spots, you'll be using the side for balance. Laying your hands on it to keep youself upright. You need a boat that will be there for you and not rolling over when you need it most.

The width will also allow you to troll in much shallower water and will help with planning and staying up on plane at slower speeds.

Planking

I would give up length before i would width myself. You can tell a big difference in stability from a 48" to a 50". My 1652 mod v will go anywhere my 1450 flat bottom would. It is a little heavier to tow with the 4 cyl but its a much better ride on the big water.

jameseboy

If you have spent time in small boats and stay centered without thinking about it, it keeps you more stable, I think the v is much better. I found the v cutting the water gave better control letting me go faster and safer especially in waves

Spurhunter

Supporter
Exactly what Crappie Luck said. Get a modified V. Get at least a 48" bottom. Don't even consider anything smaller. A 50 is better. A 52 better still. A 1650 will do everything you want to do. And get the HP it is rated for! If it is rated for a 40 and you put a 25 on it you will never be happy.

brassmagnet

I have a 16'6" smoker craft with a 60 Evinrude, it's a mod v with the front like a tracker. Had a camp on crooked creek off the TN River. I put a whale tail on it and it was as stable as it could be. Took waves well even the barges. Trot lines were a heck of a lot easier than on FIL's 14 ft flat bottom and it was easier to crappy fish from. 6 inches of water is plenty. I think it's 5 ft at the deck.

Crow Terminator

You definitely don’t want a 14 footer. I have a 14 foot flatbottom and a 19’ modified V. I’ve not been out in the flatbottom one single time since getting the 19’. My 14 is a 1436...it’s a death trap waiting to happen. It’s wide at the gunnels but the bottom is what matters. With just 1 person and minimum gear, it’s ok as long as you stay dead center of it. Put 2 people in it, and you had better have all your moves choreographed lol. There’s a world of difference between it and the 19 footer.

Spurhunter

Supporter
You definitely don’t want a 14 footer. I have a 14 foot flatbottom and a 19’ modified V. I’ve not been out in the flatbottom one single time since getting the 19’. My 14 is a 1436...it’s a death trap waiting to happen. It’s wide at the gunnels but the bottom is what matters. With just 1 person and minimum gear, it’s ok as long as you stay dead center of it. Put 2 people in it, and you had better have all your moves choreographed lol. There’s a world of difference between it and the 19 footer.
I have a 1436 I keep in the lake I live on. I've never been in a canoe or kayak, but I bet it's not much more stable. It's ok for what I use it for, but I wouldn't do anything else with it.

Crow Terminator

I have a 1436 I keep in the lake I live on. I've never been in a canoe or kayak, but I bet it's not much more stable. It's ok for what I use it for, but I wouldn't do anything else with it.
They are close to the same. My kayak was a 1036...I could stand up in it and fish, but I had to keep my feet planted a certain way. The 1436 is more stable for that. I fished out of it a bunch just by myself and was fine. One time my buddy went with me and when I went to pull the cranking rope on the outboard to start it, he wasn’t ready for that movement and it about dumped him out...which him tumbling trying to get his balance, threw me out of my seat. We made sure we were both seated before I pulled the rope again 😆

ronnycl

not enough noticeable difference in my opinion on flat vs mod v . i would not ride on a river with a width less than 42” wide bottom measurements from bottom of boat

wlf89

there is alot of difference in a 1436 and a 1448

Grill-n-man

In the past almost 30 years I’ve owned from 14ft flat bottoms up to the 20ft modified v I’ve got now. Been in big ponds, shallow backwaters, and main river. Good weather and bad enough to hit the bank and wait it out. From bow fishing to drift fishing and this is my opinions Modified V is the best all around. The mount of draft difference for a flat bottom vs a modified V is not noticeable. Modified V handles roof water tons better. And steering is easier and more controllable. Would not go any shorter the 16’ for what your wanting. Widest bottom and beam you can find and afford. Stay away from shallow short side walls, height from floor to top of beams. Go welded over riveted all day. Floor is not a big deal, if you don’t like walking over the ribs then a thin piece of sheet metal, a jig saw, few screws, and about 1-1.5 hours bam a floor. Full blown luxury about $50-$75 worth of outdoor carpet, glue, razor knife, and about 30-45 minutes bam floor covered. Shallow water you want an aluminum prop. Yeah you loose a little speed and performance verses stainless. Aluminum props are also cheaper and not as durable as a stainless one but on a hard impact you want have near the damage a stainless on can cause or expense. Also if you going to run shallow water mainly and/or haul a load get a prop with a bubba pitch. That means a prop with a pitch to where 3 real mean not these fitness nuts that live on tree roots and holy water that will get the boat on plane quick. Quick hole shot and on plane quick is well worth the lost 5-8mph you loose. First time in shallow water loaded you’ll see.

Midnight rider

I use a 1450mod-V about 2-3 times a week and more during hunting season. I like it better that a full V because i also run up on shore a lot deer and turkey hunting. My last two V hulls i would have to take in and have the front welded back up from running it up on the shore so much. Especially when i lived in mt juliet and hunted out at priest. In the fall they drop the bottom out of the lake and it is nothing but rock around most of the shore. The mod v and flatbottoms have worked out better for this application as far as i am concerned. And if you get a tiller handle motor get yourself a trolling motor handle extension, it helps to move your wait more forward in the boat and gives you and easier plan and ride. Good luck!

Latest posts