Question for the group

Zulu

I was asked for advice today, and really didn't have a good answer.
Question was:
You ask for a personal day off (which you're entitled).
Boss asks if you're using it to go on a job interview (which you are).
Your answer?

Every iota of my being says be straight up with the boss ... I always have, BUT what he does with his days off are his business, and I have no idea if this boss would hold it against him. I don't think a good boss would even ask the question.

Carlos

You could go either way with this one. I'd probably give him an in-depth explanation about a Dr's appointment with a periodic hemorrhoid inspection. Then explain that, depending on what's discovered during the inspection, they may have to drain the glands of Uranus.
Be sure and tell him you refused any anesthetic for the procedure, it's cheaper that way.

(What an ass for asking such a question!)

DaveB

when I was in that management position I never asked.

When I got asked to fly to California for interviews I took 10 days vacation. In February-I never took vacation that early. My Boss said you job hunting? Knowing my boss I said Nah, gotta bury my Aunt.

On the Ides of March I turned in my 30 days.

CBU93

Supporter
Totally depends on the relationship with the boss. I have asked my guys before, mostly for the reason that if they are looking to better themselves, I want to help them if I can. As a boss, I will never hold someone back. But I also want to prepare for recruiting their replacement as early as I can.

For me, I would not tell my boss…but I know he would hold it against me.

rem270

Supporter
When guys put in for vacation I never ask why. The way I look at it they've earned it and if the company didn't want to give out vacation and personal days they wouldn't.

My boss on the other hand will ask me 10x over what so and so is doing off and just can't stand not knowing why they're off. I just always tell him I don't ask him why he's off and not asking them why they want off.

Omega

My prior job didn't ask what your plans were. When I left JD, my manager didn't want to take my notice, due to their policy of releasing someone the day they say they are leaving. I insisted, told him it would be better if I trained the replacement since I created some of the equipment tracking procedures. But his boss insisted I leave, I said ok and let my new/old job know that I was available early and went right in. Didn't even get a day off to go fishing.

Carlos

I have 36 paid days off per year. That's plenty of time to do a ton of job searching.
Strange question for him to ask without reason. (I have a feeling there's a snitch sharing information/rumors.)
They're easy to set up if you're interested in finding out who it is.

ttf909

Supporter
People looking for a job put off a vibe. You can just feel it . Also if anyone else knows they will tell.
Right now tell them. Might result in a pay raise or other comp. Jmho

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
I usually don't talk about what I'm doing when I put in for a day off. If anyone asks, I'm like, got family stuff I need to take care of, or I need a little time to relax. I don't want anyone eyeballing my house when I'm off, they might come over and I'd have to put pants on.

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by Jeff Silcox
    Around 9:00 five bucks came out together.2 spikes,6 pointer,2 eight...
    • Jeff Silcox
    • Updated:

Latest posts