Question for the experts

diesel920

Hey everyone. I had a little incident with a truck tailgate as you can see in the pics. This is my first time doing this so aside feeling like a complete idiot, I just wanted to know if anyone that knows anything about fiberglass could tell me anything about difficulty to fix, how expensive, etc. I certainly won't be fixing it myself so I was just curious if an idea of what I may get into when I take it to a shop. How bad did I screw up?! 7B9ACB4B-2601-41BF-ACB6-59CE4F45F4F4.jpeg6CA55852-EAFA-4E07-8087-B96B76328EC3.jpeg

Madbowh

You need a grinder, cheap brush roller, go to west marine pick up weeved fabric and get resin and hardner you need to grind/ sand the whole area then roll or brush hardner lay fabric quick roll resin then fabric then resin again. If you get the 1 gallon can resin hardner its like 1 pump hardner 3 pumps resin its easy they explain it at west marine. After all done sand lightly and paint. I've done everything from consoles to compete transom, joist and floors. You've created a project that's for sure. I would go buying anything with less than $500 in your pocket

Pilchard

I've had to pay for a few glass repair jobs and they typically run between $350-$2,000 depending on the severity of the damage.
For this one, you'll need to remove the rub rail(and probably buy and install a new one). You'll have to have someone that can glass it up at the perfect angle and repair the cap so that it fits back together. I'd guess this one at the higher end of the range I gave if you hire a reputable person. If you want the cosmetics to match, I'd add a bit more.

The most expensive job I had was when a Sheriff rear ended my boat while it was on the trailer. The county's insurance paid for the whole thing but it was a lot of damage. The repair bill cost them $18,000 and unfortunately the guy lost his job.

Tnshooter15

If you are near Knoxville I know a guy that is great in fixing stuff like that. I don't know how expensive he is but he does great work

hillbillyfab

Hate you had a mishap. This thread and the replies let me know, that I know next to nothing about fiberglass and fiberglass repair. Good luck. Hope it's not too costly.

Latest posts