Question For East TN Public Land Hunters

cclark31

Hello all,

I have been away from deer hunting for a while. I haven't killed a deer since 2007 and I have never taken a deer in TN.

All my hunting in my youth was in Western KY. I haven't hunted much in TN for deer.

I have settled down in East TN. I love the area. The fishing is great and keeps me busy in the spring and summer months.

Now to my question, for all of you East TN hunters that hunt public land South Cherokee in particular, do you scout hard and then go hunt the area you scouted with a stand, or do you scout and then stalk hunt an area?

I know the terrain can be very rough in South Cherokee. Make me wonder if you wouldn't try to stalk some ridges and hunt that way?

It doesn't help that I've been watching Meat Eater on Netlfix and watching him stalk hunt everything. lol

Matador

Unless you are extremely good at stalking, the deer will win more times than you do. I have been deer hunting 40 year and everyone I know hunts out of a stand. There are deer killed every year by hunters walking and scouting but that is not stalking. Good luck with which ever option you choose.

JeepKuntry

Only times I still hunt are high winds or right after a rain. I'm by no means a pro, but I am slowly learning to identify terrain features on a topo map and making that waypoint. Some public land areas I do this and go in blind. I mainly do my first sit in the evening so I can quickly scout as I get close.

DaveB

A saddle is an easy way to move from one side to another. Find a saddle on a map. Go to it and look about 100 yards in every direction for a bench. Deer will move to the bench ahead of making the crossing at the saddle.

Note the deer move to the bench so they can eyeball approaches to the saddle so once you identify a bench back away as far as you can and still maintain your accuracy confidence and line of sight. Watch your wind as per usual and be quiet on approach to your shooting location. If you can see the bench and the saddle even better.

No bench, look for a defined trail leading to the saddle.

Shanman

My father taught me to still hunt as that was the way he hunted in the upper ET mountains. Friend in high school introduced me to treestands and all of a sudden I started seeing a lot more deer, now the only time I still hunt is while scouting for a new stand site, usually for an evening set. At 50 there's no way I would pack a stand back into Cherokee. Honestly I prefer a higher deer population than those mountains carry, but there are some nice bucks there. You will work for a good one though, usually WAY back past where the average hunter stops. Plus side is the ridges are steep enough that you don't need a stand alot of the time. Study those topos as always and put the foot work in and you'll find a few. Good luck and go prepared.

Simpleman.2

Shanman":1k8dx192 said:
My father taught me to still hunt as that was the way he hunted in the upper ET mountains. Friend in high school introduced me to treestands and all of a sudden I started seeing a lot more deer, now the only time I still hunt is while scouting for a new stand site, usually for an evening set. At 50 there's no way I would pack a stand back into Cherokee. Honestly I prefer a higher deer population than those mountains carry, but there are some nice bucks there. You will work for a good one though, usually WAY back past where the average hunter stops. Plus side is the ridges are steep enough that you don't need a stand alot of the time. Study those topos as always and put the foot work in and you'll find a few. Good luck and go prepared.

Good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLTENNHUNTER1

I have hunted East Tennessee in the past. Then I came to my senses and started hunting middle Tennessee. If you get a deer in there, you need to have a good plan to get it out. Those hills are STEEP.

Joe2Kool

I've hunted the North Cumberland WMA for about 25 years. Started when it was Champion Cumberland Forest, and a permit was $2. Originally, I still hunted, and would sit for a while. Most of the deer I saw were high-tailing it away from me! About 15+ years ago, I switched to stand hunting, and have had more success.

I also like to chase turkeys there in the spring, which is when I find game trails and logging and mining benches. I'll scout it during the late spring and summer, maybe put up a trail cam. If I like what I see, I'll put up a ladder stand, or plan to hunt it a few times from a climber first, then put up a ladder stand. The area is steep, so hauling in a climber can be a pain. But, once a ladder stand goes in, I don't intend to bring it out!

Good luck and post pics.

Joe2Kool

Forgot to add, many times I've shot a deer and drug it downhill to the next ATV trail, then walked back up to the ATV, and ride down to get it, Sometimes that takes a while, but it beats dragging uphill. It works best with a buddy. You can drag while he rides down!

MUP

FLTENNHUNTER1":3vaigi67 said:
I have hunted East Tennessee in the past. Then I came to my senses and started hunting middle Tennessee. If you get a deer in there, you need to have a good plan to get it out. Those hills are STEEP.

I'll 2nd that. I'm still stuck in the hills of E TN tho. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20171111_090547951.jpg
    IMG_20171111_090547951.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 799

Latest posts