Question for BSK or anyone

mossyoakmantn

What is your opinion on using ozone producing products? I bought one of those mossyoak ozone bags because it was on sale. It kills odors but you can smell the ozone. Can the deer spook from the ozone? Ps I started this thread last night while in my stand but didnt finish due to shooting a deer šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

JeepKuntry

Not BSK but i use ozone when I am on hunting trips where washing isn't an option. I haven't noticed any negative effects.

AM84

Alsoā€¦not BSK but I will add my experience.

I have a scent lok bag with OZ500. I use this to store my clothes in and occasionally use the ozone for my clothes. I believe this absolutely works. When I first got the bag, I put some of my stepsons smelly football stuff in it and it did not have the smell after I ran the ozone machine. It did have a smell of ozone but was better than the dirty sweat smell it had. The ozone smell disappears shortly after removing it from the bag.

Next, I hunt a very steep, large mountain. The wind hardly ever blows constant. It swirls most of the time just about everywhere on the mountain. So I bought an Ozonics Orion unit. I hunted with it 1 time and I literally sold it today. It made a low whirring sound from the fan running constantly which drove me crazy. According to the instructions I needed to place it roughly 12" or so above my head. So I heard it while it ranā€¦..ALLā€¦THEā€¦.TIME. They also suggest pointing the unit the direction the wind was blowing. So as awesome as the idea is for swirling winds you can see the aggravation of having to constantly change where it is pointed. While on stand, I have been winded this year huntingā€¦so far (only been 4 days) the 1 day I was winded I had the ozonics running. It produces a strong smell of ozone while running. I left the woods after a roughly 5 hour sit with as bad of a headache as I've had. Maybe a coincidence, but coupled with being busted and the sound I couldn't justify it.

My friend I sold it to, loves them and says he will never hunt without one again.

I believe it works to kill odors to some degree, and I will continue to use it very sparingly to "freshen up" my clothes in the scent lok bag, but for that only.

Chief44

Not BSK either butā€¦. I used one for a few years and yes, I believed it helped some. The big down side to me is that you have to be carful what you expose to the ozone. It will destroy rubber type material. It completely ruined the elastic in some of my base layers.

trout

I agree with comments provided. I have a scent crusher ozone bag that I use to store my hunting clothes in year around. I use the ozone sparingly to freshen up the clothes which were washed on scent free soap. The ozone itself is bad for some materials and very bad for your lungs. I would not use one inside an enclosed blind. You can smell the ozone but I find it does not spook deer. The ozone scent smells like fresh air similar to air after a lightning storm. On a side note, I also use a plastic tote lined with cedar planks to store my hunting boots, backpack, and cell cameras.

DeerCamp

As long as you understand that the goal is to reduce scent, not eliminate it, Ozone products are awesome. There's a reason they are used in mold and smoke damage remediation.

Where people get in trouble is where they think they are scent proof, and ignore the wind.

Shanman

Agree with everything said above. Love my scent loc ozone duffel and have a small unit to move between totes and truck cab. I do not us a mobile tree unit for the fact of noise and I don't want to breath the stuff. I have friends that swear by them though.

DeerCamp

What I have read is that deer use the concentration of scent to determine distance. Most deer in TN smell humans all the time.

On our farm, our house is on the north half of 40 acres, and all of our bathroom and kitchen vents vent directly outside. We must pepper the woods non-stop with human scent, especially with our stands being south of the house.

So these deer know our scent well, and honestly probably get used to it. It may even help us in the long run.

It's when we smell like we are 30 yards away that its an issue.

So the trick is to reduce your scent to background noise so that deer think you are out of danger range.

megalomaniac

complete waste of money and a total gimmic using an ozone generator in open conditions thinking it will make any difference. Think about it... most can generate around 500 sq Ft in an hour. In open air conditions, if there is a 5mph wind, you would have to generate a couple million sq ft to eliminate human odor.

Now in enclosed spaces (hunting clothes in a box/ tupperware, etc), absolutely an ozone generator can effectively reduce scents impregnated in clothing.

But taking one into a tree with you is a complete waste of $$$, time, and effort.

BSK

Ozone certainly helps reduce scent. I'm sure the ozone bags or devices you can store your clothes help, In fact, they probably help quite a bit. But I would NOT use an ozone generator near you when hunting. Prolonged exposure to ozone is actually quite dangerous.

Deer 1

Just started using 1 in the stand. I can here the fan but am getting used to it. I have seen 3 bucks in my last 4 hunts and zero busted me. All within 20yds. 2 at zero yards! Liking it so far.

Haven't used it in my gear tote yet. Kinda worried it might damage some fabrics. Still using leaves and cedar in it for now. I also use unscented soap, shampoo, etc.

7mm08

Ozone certainly helps reduce scent. I'm sure the ozone bags or devices you can store your clothes help, In fact, they probably help quite a bit. But I would NOT use an ozone generator near you when hunting. Prolonged exposure to ozone is actually quite dangerous.
So that explains why some of those guys on hunting shows are so stupid!

Dumbluck

I had one, and sold it. I hated listening to the fan and I think it would spook certain deer extremely bad compared to just being as scent free as possible. I had some deer hit the ozone and take off like I shot them, then I had others that would just get really nervous like normal. I only had a few deer act like nothing was there when downwind. I had more negative responses than deer that seemed relaxed.

When I bought it, I knew I didn't need it but I like to experiment and try new things out. I was not impressed.

Latest posts