Question for BSK (or anyone for that matter)

redblood

Lots of discussion about buck age and maturity in this forum recently. So the question is- when is a buck considered fully mature? I know everyone has a different measuring stick to assess it. So what do you consider fully mature and why. I guess for me it has changed over the yrs.

cbhunter

For me personally it's 4.5 in my eyes. I'm not saying they are completely in their prime at that age but that's when they are fully mature mentally and get hard as heck to catch them slipping up. A 4.5 to me would be like a 25- 30 year old man.

vanleerbuckbuster

For me personally it's 4.5 in my eyes. I'm not saying they are completely in their prime at that age but that's when they are fully mature mentally and get hard as heck to catch them slipping up. A 4.5 to me would be like a 25- 30 year old man.

Considering some of the 25-30 year olds i know. I would consider a 4.5 more like 35-40 😃😃

megalomaniac

4.5 is mature... that being said, my deer add the 'wow' factor when they hit 5.5... mass and sometimes stickers. The handful of 6.5s I've killed all scored less than they would have at 5.5...

For me, I'm happy going for a 4.5 yo each year. Most years, we have 6 or 7 between all my farms. This year, we only had 5. And not many 3.5yos up and coming.

One of my neighbors adopted my 1 buck per person limit, so that may help that area in the future.

redblood

4.5 is mature... that being said, my deer add the 'wow' factor when they hit 5.5... mass and sometimes stickers. The handful of 6.5s I've killed all scored less than they would have at 5.5...

For me, I'm happy going for a 4.5 yo each year. Most years, we have 6 or 7 between all my farms. This year, we only had 5. And not many 3.5yos up and coming.

One of my neighbors adopted my 1 buck per person limit, so that may help that area in the future.
Im a 1 buck limit guy that rarely ever shoots one. I agree with age assessment. Most 4.5s seem to lack the extra stuff for sure

catman529

The skeleton stops growing somewhere around 2 or 3 years, but the rack size may peak out at 4, 5 8, or 9 depending on the deer. I think 4.5 is the "textbook" definition of a mature buck. That's when they become insanely elusive and really show how smart an older deer can be.

Side tracked here, but I've seen/heard it said way too often that an old doe is the smartest deer in the woods. Having killed far more old does than old bucks, and having observed behavior of hundreds of does, I have to say that they are nowhere near as smart as an old buck. Yes they are very keen, and good at picking out a hunter in the woods. But the difference is that the mature buck (4.5+) will never show his face, while the mature doe will stomp around snd make a scene.

th88

Side tracked here, but I've seen/heard it said way too often that an old doe is the smartest deer in the woods. Having killed far more old does than old bucks, and having observed behavior of hundreds of does, I have to say that they are nowhere near as smart as an old buck. Yes they are very keen, and good at picking out a hunter in the woods. But the difference is that the mature buck (4.5+) will never show his face, while the mature doe will stomp around snd make a scene.
Yeah, that's often said by folks who struggle to ever kill a mature buck. I just roll my eyes when I hear it!

A mature buck is 4.5 and according to Mississippi State research, has reached abut 90% of his antler potential. Under poorer conditions (poor soils being one of them), it can sometimes take deer another year or to year to reach their potential antlerwise in comparison to ideal conditions and great soil regions.

Snake

The skeleton stops growing somewhere around 2 or 3 years, but the rack size may peak out at 4, 5 8, or 9 depending on the deer. I think 4.5 is the "textbook" definition of a mature buck. That's when they become insanely elusive and really show how smart an older deer can be.

I agree wholeheartedly ! I've always said an old buck has that sixth sense . If it wasn't for the rut most that reach maturity would probably die of old age .

fairchaser

I agree that 4.5 is mature for most TN whitetails. However, in areas heavily hit with CWD like Fayette and Hardeman counties, 3.5 will be the new mature buck age. We are seeing fewer and fewer older deer.

csi-tech

My rule of thumb is a 125" 3.5 year old buck. Fact is, I walked one that size this year. Hoping my opinion will be 135" 4.5 years old next year.

DeerCamp

Truth is, a deer is not going to "blow up" between 4.5 and 5.5, but they do add some character.

Statistically, the chart below would tell you 5.5 is the point where a deer has pretty much "maxed out" - some gain a little more, some may lose a little.

One problem, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a 2.5 or 3.5, or 3.5 or 4.5, but I believe is very hard to tell the difference between a 4.5 and 5.5 on the fly, and for that reason I think that anyone should be comfortable calling a 4.5 mature.

NDA-Predicting-Antler-Potential-web-760x714.jpg

DeerCamp

There's another side of this too from a QDMA standpoint.

Once you have identified a 3.5 or 4.5 YO deer, and have deduced that they are a lower age class buck, removing them from the herd might have a positive impact on the other bucks in your area, as well as open up the range for other mature bucks.

It's a little more complex than just "how old is he"