question for all the ammo guru's

Bone Collector

Supporter
I have a Russian Mosin that was given to me and i believe it is stock WWII. I can find that out if necessary. The issue is I was told with the older military rifles to only shoot bulk military rounds through them, which tend to be FMJ, because the new ammo especially hunting type ammo is too hot for the gun to handle.

I was thinking about picking up some Winchester, soft points for it and possibly using it during deer season, but I don't damage it.

Will I be ok?

sgtwebb1

Supporter
444tsgt said:
Any 7.62x54r is safe to shoot in your mosin.

Absolutely.

As long as the weapon is in good working order, the Mosin Nagant barrel & action is as tough as a tank.
Millions made, millions still shooting.

Mossy Oak

sgtwebb1 said:
444tsgt said:
Any 7.62x54r is safe to shoot in your mosin.

Absolutely.

As long as the weapon is in good working order, the Mosin Nagant barrel & action is as tough as a tank.
Millions made, millions still shooting.

Yep, the Mosin is an absolute beast. I have tried about every type of round I can find in mine and I have had no problems.

DaveB

There is a Mosin web site that celebrates this rifle in some mighty funny ways, along with selling various Mosin items and providing a forum for owners world wide. I got the link.....Ahhhh

http://62x54r.net/

The T-shorts are hysterical. I mean, they have Mosin Posters. You can buy replacement stocks. Rifles with matched serial numbers that have not been butchered when the barrels were ruined bring some large prices. Have a blast, I hear the recoil is a little noticeable.

Team Browning

Such good guns and not nearly as scary with recoil as some would have you believe. That 7.62x54 is only that much bigger than a 7.62x53, also known as the 30-06.

Bone Collector

Supporter
Team Browning said:
Such good guns and not nearly as scary with recoil as some would have you believe. That 7.62x54 is only that much bigger than a 7.62x53, also known as the 30-06.

yeah my FIL said it is called the "Russian 30-06" I think i will be ok.....