Quail in West Tennessee

Swampster

I am seeing more quail this summer than I have seen for several years. Not a lot, mind you, but I'll kick up a few on my walks sometimes. I also see them every once in a while when driving to or from work. I'm also starting to hear them every once in a while. These sightings may not be frequent, but it seemed that for the past few years I wasn't seeing or hearing any at all. I wonder if they are having a good year this year.

Displaced_Vol

Same here for SC KY. I've lived here a couple years now and know enough to know the vast majority won't make it through to the fall. First year I was here I thought hot damn it's going to be fun this fall. Just too much going against them.

To not be totally negative though I am seeing more rabbits than I have before. Maybe they'll hang on & I'll rabbit hunt for the first time in 20 years.

Boll Weevil

We got quail! For us, they're back and it's so nice to listen to em on the porch. Pulling in the driveway the other day a covey of 12-15 got up. More than I've seen in the last 3 years total.

catman529

I hear em all over middle TN every year, but don't jump them very often. Just heard one whistling on Sunday morning. They like the WMAs, farm land, and undeveloped flood plains behind subdivisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jlanecr500

I sure wish we had them here in the east like when I was a kid. I've got 3 bird crazy Brittany's that would have a blast.
20190608_102836.jpg

19_A_CPT

I still hold a grudge against them. Almost gave me a heart attack when i was about 15 walking to my deer stand through an open sage field under a full moon before daylight when they jumped up under my feet.

Be a welcoming site to see increased numbers.

Latest posts