Public spots around Murfreesboro

Kevin

Couple weeks ago there was a whole bunch of greenheads in the flooded woods over behind the outdoor mall lol.

MidTennFisher

I'd like to know this too since I live in the boro. I've failed twice at floating and stalking creeks looking for wood ducks. I know that almost all of the surrounding area of JPP is public land so you can walk into the woods and arrive at shoreline. Maybe you can get lucky if you throw some decoys out and are good at calling and get some mallards to fly in.

I'd say your best bet is a short walk through the woods to arrive at JPP shoreline. Water is really low now. If I had any idea where the ducks were, I'd try it. I haven't had the time to scout and see what areas of the lake they use. Occasionally I see a group fly over my head in the morning when I'm squirrel hunting woods near the Stones River.

Please don't go shooting at ducks behind the mall or at Go Fun USA haha.

pinsat203040

Shooting wasn't too bad this morning on Robert Rose. We busted open a spot that had frozen over and had about 5 waves come though. 4 greenheads, a Suzie, and a goose. 2 bands!

ADR

There is some decent walk in hunting around the lake on wma land. You can look at aerial maps and see some fields that flood. In fact on google maps I think it shows water in some of these spots.

MidTennFisher

The TWRA Waterfowl Map shows all of JPP Unit 2 being open to waterfowl hunting except for the safety zones around boat ramps and recreation areas. I didn't see anything about Pooles Knob boundaries. With the water levels low again nothing will be flooded but there are still ducks using that lake. Not many, but they are there. Do you have a dog to get the birds? The lake gets too deep to walk out unless you get lucky and get them close to shore.

There are about 30 Canada Geese that live in the pond by the VA, I see them fly in sometimes on my way to work. If you're sneaky you could jump shoot those!

I suppose I should also follow up and say I'm joking, nobody do that!!

pinsat203040

Cool deal fellas. Yeah i hate driving by spots where they all sit and not being able to bust a few. Like when i golf 2 times a year at Old Fort and Indian Hills and i cruise by the ponds and see all the geese and ducks. Man if they would just give me one morning a year on each spot. I am sure Indian Hills has a few PETA members there so that could be real fun, lol