Public land suggestions

Stick & String

New to town and looking for some good public land to hunt turkeys. I live in Paris but could travel up to an hour and a half. Thinking about LBL although I know nothing about it. Any help would be appreciated.

bowhunterfanatic

You'd be better off asking a Nigerian Prince to wire you money these days...

LBL has some turkeys but they can be super tough to hunt. It also doesn't open until after the second draw hunt if I'm not mistaken. There is quite a bit of public land within an hour of you. Don't be afraid to go explore it all. If you can go through the week, that'd be your best bet. Good luck this season

Stick & String

Thanks for your help guys. I am retired so can hunt during the week. How is Natchez Trace? I also live near West Sandy WMA but don't know if there are many turkeys there. Seems to be pretty swampy.

catman529

Now is a perfect time to go listen in the mornings for gobbles. Best way to find some good spots before season. I burn a lot of gas scouting new places every year and don't like to just give up free intel. But if you look you will find birds, just make sure to have several backup spots since things can get crowded.

Chief44

I haven't been to LBL in the last two seasons but prior to that I always hunted it for a week every year during the open hunts. Being public land, there's always a chance of running into other hunters but as said above, during the week it's usually not that crowded. LBL birds can be tough and they like to travel so be prepared to burn some shoe leather. I had one old guy tell me one time that if you can consistently kill birds at LBL, you can kill them anywhere.

gordonc615

Thanks for your help guys. I am retired so can hunt during the week. How is Natchez Trace? I also live near West Sandy WMA but don't know if there are many turkeys there. Seems to be pretty swampy.
I've hunted just outside of Natchez on private never turkey but they've got a strong deer herd... Natchez is huge tho...

Latest posts