Public land near Lebanon TN

REN

not looking for someone spot really but wondered if there is any public land near Lebanon (Wilson County) worth hunting. I know Cedars of Lebanon but is there anything else within easy driving distance??

I never hunt public land so i never really payed attention to it, may try it a few times this year though if there is something around here worth trying. I also know Lock 5 up off 231 but not sure what the rules or area makers are, also i usually see a few trucks out there and its not very big in reality.

catman529

If you are up to the drive then come hunt the next turkey hunt at Williamsport WMA in northwestern Maury county, it's sometime in the middle of the month and the scheduled hunts keep some pressure off the birds and there are a lot of birds.

Gravey

I went out to Priest with my son Saturday afternoon but no luck. Talked to a guy at work today and he went out there Saturday morning with no luck. That said there are birds there but its been a couple of years since I've really hunted it. If you want to go and I can I'm game. Otherwise get a map and I'll show you where I've seen them in seasons past.

REN

Gravey tried to PM you but it says you are over the limit

yeah man id love to go check it out one day and would be much more inclined to go with someone who has been out there before and knows a bit about the place.

can you ever go during the week or weekends only? im fine with either just wondering. im just looking for some backup spots is all, i hunt private land 99% of the time but you can never have to many places to go chase a bird

Jaymie

Gravey

Cleared some room. I can go mostly on the weekend and on Saturdays I have baseball at 11:00 so I can't stay out forever. I can sneak in an hour or so on Tuesday and Thursday before work but take my kids to school the other days. Like I said until last Saturday it has been a few years since I've turkey hunted it but we can give it a shot.

AT Hiker

trealtree said:
So what your really saying is your tired of shooting birds on your private spots you have to hunt. ;)

Manifest destiny...the American dream! Haha...seriously though, there are lots of public lands in the western and eastern part of the state that are not over hunted. Take LBL for example, you can hit that place up during the week on the non-quotas and as long as your not afraid to walk then you have more than enough room to walk and hunt. Problem is, most hunters I meet now days are more concerned with killing something than actually participating in the hunt (hint, mpost never stray far from the road). I would rather go set up camp for a weekend, enjoy the comradery of like minded others, have a good "hunt", and not kill anything...versus go by myself and tag out in the first 15 minutes and be bored the rest of the day and not get the primeval sense out of it. Dont get me wrong, I want to be successful in the kill. I have my spots where I can kill something with relative ease, but large parcels of public land provide more than game to hunt. They seem to provide the only "wild" I can get around here.

I have never hunted Priest,so I cannot offer help there. But if you got a long weekend or a day or two off in the week I would say explore some of the larger parcels like LBL. I really want to hit up Cherokee, I have hiked it a couple times but would love to test my skills at hunting the Appalachia.

trealtree

AT Hiker said:
trealtree said:
So what your really saying is your tired of shooting birds on your private spots you have to hunt. ;)

Manifest destiny...the American dream! Haha...seriously though, there are lots of public lands in the western and eastern part of the state that are not over hunted. Take LBL for example, you can hit that place up during the week on the non-quotas and as long as your not afraid to walk then you have more than enough room to walk and hunt. Problem is, most hunters I meet now days are more concerned with killing something than actually participating in the hunt (hint, mpost never stray far from the road). I would rather go set up camp for a weekend, enjoy the comradery of like minded others, have a good "hunt", and not kill anything...versus go by myself and tag out in the first 15 minutes and be bored the rest of the day and not get the primeval sense out of it. Dont get me wrong, I want to be successful in the kill. I have my spots where I can kill something with relative ease, but large parcels of public land provide more than game to hunt. They seem to provide the only "wild" I can get around here.

I have never hunted Priest,so I cannot offer help there. But if you got a long weekend or a day or two off in the week I would say explore some of the larger parcels like LBL. I really want to hit up Cherokee, I have hiked it a couple times but would love to test my skills at hunting the Appalachia.

I couldnt agree more.

Gravey

Grizzly Johnson said:
Gravey said:
REN said:
While I agree I have a 5year old 2 year old and one due in October at home so a weekend get away ain't in the plans at the moment.
You figured out yet what causes that? :grin:

Too much free time..... need to hunt more!!!
Don't we all.

Hey Ren... a guy at work told me where he saw 6 longbeards while fishing over the weekend. We need to get out there.