Public land Muleys?

SinningSaint33

Any of you folks ever took a trip out west for Muleys?? Talking with a few friends about making plans to go SOMEWHERE in October. Best state that sales OTC tags?

Buzzard Breath

I'm more of a bowhunter, so I'm not 100% sure on rifle tags, buy I don't think any state offers OTC mule deer tags for rifle hunts. Idaho may, but if I remember right, they sold out in just a couple hours on Dec 1. Colorado has OTC elk tags and that may be about your only option for a western hunt for next year. There may be some mule deer units you could draw with 0 points, but I've never looked into it.

megalomaniac

Good luck otc mulies with zero points.

Now there's some ok landowner tags you can buy out west for $5000 that will get you on ground to kill a 150 to 160in er.

Some reservations in a similar price range with perhaps a tad higher scoring bucks.

Hate to be a Debbie downer... but that's just the mule deer game with many more hunters in the past 20 years, even fewer mulies left.

Change your expectations from mulies to elk and you will have many more options.

SinningSaint33

I'm more of a bowhunter, so I'm not 100% sure on rifle tags, buy I don't think any state offers OTC mule deer tags for rifle hunts. Idaho may, but if I remember right, they sold out in just a couple hours on Dec 1. Colorado has OTC elk tags and that may be about your only option for a western hunt for next year. There may be some mule deer units you could draw with 0 points, but I've never looked into it.
Bow only for me. We discussed doing a Colorado elk hunt but figured it might be smarter to look into Muleys before diving in after an elk.

HoytDawg

I drew a muley rifle tag last year in colorado with zero points. Elk was the primary target, but glad I had the deer tag because we saw tons of deer and no elk.

gtk

Staff member
I've drawn CO mule deer tags 4 out of 5 years with 0 points in less desirable areas. You might find a trespass fee hunt in low point area, but you need to be looking asap. Also, might make sure you find a unit with OTC elk tags. If you are out there, you may as well do both.

Latest posts