PSA, really don’t know for sure what happened

FLTENNHUNTER1

I wonder if the same thing could happen if a primer wasn't seated correctly? I always run my finger across the bottom of every round I reload to make sure the primer is seated.

If I follow your description of what happened, it could have been any of the nine rounds, correct? That said, it sounds like the bullet wasn't aligned with the barrel but hit the frame of the gun?

Hduke86

Did you keep the brass? Curious what it looked like?
I looked at it and it “looked” fine. Just like a normal hit on the outer edge of it. There was nothing abnormal but after that episode I didn’t want to chance it again with that box of ammo so I tossed it in the pond when I got home. I didn’t want to put it in the trash and surely didn’t want to leave them in the house. They probably were fine but “probably” isn’t ideal for me with boys around that shoot 22lr.

Hduke86

I wonder if the same thing could happen if a primer wasn't seated correctly? I always run my finger across the bottom of every round I reload to make sure the primer is seated.

If I follow your description of what happened, it could have been any of the nine rounds, correct? That said, it sounds like the bullet wasn't aligned with the barrel but hit the frame of the gun?
It was not aligned with the barrel. Yes could’ve been any of them, I don’t know if I tilted it slightly to unseat one of what

MUP

Supporter
So glad it wasn't worse buddy! That really could have gone really bad. Definitely a good PSA for all to heed! I know I'll be a little more cautious when loading wheel guns from now on!

Kimber45

That gun is unsafe.. send it to your ole buddy :)

Really glad to see it wasn’t a lot worse. Revolvers can certainly have their own strange issues .. you may want to check the bullet seating on that cylinder, could have a rough spot holding full seating back

DaveB

Tossing the remaining rounds is probably a good idea.

That kind of AD should be precluded by the pistol design.

I thought, memory failing again, it took a specific amount of energy to pinch the rim and create the conditions that would allow the powder in the rim to ignite. The weight of the entire bullet is insufficient to cause this ignition even if thrown on a pointed surface.

For sure you were close to serious injury. I saw a pic someplace of a 22LR (may have been magnum) that had a case failure and the stream of hot gas cut the chamber steel.

Latest posts