Protecting your Lease

cfmartin1833

Im getting on a new lease for next season with 3 other guys. One guy is fairly familiar with the property but the others are not yet. The property looks really good but only has one drawback that I can see right now. There are two roads that cut through the property. these are rough gravel back roads but still easily accessible to people. Does anyone have any recommendations for protecting the property from poaching and other potential problems? What do some of y'all do to keep people from coming on the property? We will be posting signs along the roads as well as running some cameras and stuff like that but I was just wandering what y'all do or recommend on something like this. Thanks!

fairchaser

Post it with signs and possibly surveillance cameras. Patrol the property at odd times and be ready to prosecute any trespassing you find. Just make it more difficult to access. Make it difficult to pull off the road too. Notify the game warden the property is under a new lease and exchange phone numbers. Put your food plots toward the interior of the property and away from easy access. Lock the doors on shooting houses and other stands if possible. The bottom line is it may be impossible if they really want to.

mike243

I hate to tell you this but a lease is only a trespass permit,you have 0 rights as your not the land owner,folks in Cumberland county and i'm sure a lot of other places think they have a life time right to hunt said property and tear down gates and signs forever cause they have always hunted it.I'm sure 1 of the reasons the land holding compamy stopped selling permits and went to a leasing programs is the lack of permits bought and the enforcement of trespassing.Been there done that in Cumberland county,the locals know when you are there and when your not ,good luck

Hunter 257W

Does one or more of the members live close enough to this land to act as a guard the 1st deer season? When the large (810 acres) farm next to mine sold a few years ago it sold in several pieces. I bought a chunk of it and a several other people bought other parts. One of the new owners took it on himself that 1st deer season to watch over the entire farm and get word out that the new owners collectively weren't going to allow trespassing as had been done in the past. He went through a lot of inconvenience to himself as he was out there all hours of the day and night sitting in his truck. He'd hide back in fence rows and where ever and always in different spots but when somebody would come slipping in, he was on them like a hawk on a rat. He encountered something like 60 different bunches of people but it worked and got the word out. They found out that no matter when they tried to come in, they'd be confronted. Now there are a few but very few. I've only found 2 groups in 6 years on my part of the farm in fact. One was pretty bold but not confrontational at all once I confronted them. I think the best time to change things for the better is when you 1st take control of a piece of land. Put up new signs, establish the fact that new users are now present and most of all be there a lot and at unpredictable and frequent hours to make it known that it's going to be darned hard to slip in unnoticed from now on.

cfmartin1833

one god thing is that its close enough to make the drive at any given time during the spring and summer, and the schedules for all of us on the lease are different so wi will be be hunting it at different times during season. The easily accessible entrances to the property are gated. Without going thru the main gated entrance, its not real easy to conceal yourself getting into the property. we will be posting the property heavily with signage and all of that stuff, and locking box blinds and all that. Guess we will just have wait and see how it goes. I also plan to contact the game warden and talk to him about the area and see if he has any recommendations

Latest posts