Protecting apple trees question

volsfan1976

So I bought some apple trees I'm gonna plant on the land I bought. It's all wooded so I have been clearing a couple of spots to plant them. Seems like I have heard people talk about this but my question is since I'm cutting trees down to clear, could I plant my trees and then just pretty much surround them with the tree tops or should I cage them. The ones I bought are 6-7 foot tall. Thanks.

JCDEERMAN

Make sure they get a lot of sun. As Popcorn said, you have to cage them. Drive rebar or 2 T-posts in the ground on both sides of the tree and use that for fence support. Make sure the limbs aren't rubbing up against the fence. If you don't do this, they will get killed by the bucks this fall. They are a magnet for rubbing posts. Make sure and weed-eat several times a year. I'm actually tired of weed-eating them and will be putting weed mats around the base of each of ours in the coming months. Best of luck!

Monk74

I cage mine with regular five foot farm fence. About a 3 foot circle. Works great so far. I had problems with voles eating all the roots. Notice one leaning. Everything below dirt level had been eaten.

Latest posts