Prostate Cancer?

KPH

My best friend had it removed did what the Doc.s told him to do afterwards and is doing great. My brother-in-law not long ago had his removed but didn't follow through with what the Doc's told him he will probably ware a Depend for ever. My friend had his done at Vanderbilt and swears that is the place to go. After my throat cancer I agree Vanderbilt is real good with that sort of thing. You may have to pin the Doc,s down to get the answers you want. I my case I had no option it was radiation and some fusion. I hope this helps a little. Prayers are with you

Wildcat

Ok, I have had it as well as my dad and brother.

We lost Dad to PC because he didn't do anything until it was too late.

5 years after burying him they told me I had it. I choose radiation treatment over an operation to remove the prostate BECAUSE we caught it early and I was at stage 1. I did the treatment for 8 weeks and felt fine the whole time, never did get weak or anything. But then again it was after Christmas and in the winter I didn't have a lot to do. The ONLY thing I can see the aftereffect is it messed up my plumping a little, no big deal and I can handle it fine, been doing it for 14 years now.

Now my brother found out last year and he also choose radiation because of me. There is a big difference between what I went through and what he had. Today things are 100% better than they were 14 years ago, it's like night and day. They are so much better, that I knew his chances were great they would get it. The machines are unreal today. The MRI scan showed where the cancer was and they used that to place "targets" on the cancer. I'm NOT talking about radiation seeds but targets. This allowed the radiation to go STRAIGHT TO THE CANCER without having to go through other parts of the body like they did me. Now my brother is cancer free in his prostate and does NOT have any plumbing problems at all.

On a side note this year while looking for something else they found cancer in my brother's kidney and he had that removed. They got it all and my brother had about 10 weeks recovery before he could mow the yard again.

Being stage 3 I cannot tell you what to do. BUT I will tell you this, everything I know about cancer treatment and that is a lot I learned over the years keeping up with this TODAYS TREATMENTS are 100 times better than anything I could have had 14 years ago, your chances are much, much better.

You want to talk, PM me.

tellico28

I had prostate removal 6 years ago. I had the microscopic surgery and so far so good. I began kegel exercises a couple of months before surgery, and that helped me so much. Good luck to you

flyinpro

Supporter
You other guys reading this, go get a PSA test. Its simple and if I had caught it earlier it would have been a non-issue.
I could not offer you advice, I can pray that you & your family will make the right decisions. Agree with DaveTN, you guys get your PSA & if your afraid of a finger in your back side once a year or so, I know early detection works. So get those tests brothers.

redblood

I could not offer you advice, I can pray that you & your family will make the right decisions. Agree with DaveTN, you guys get your PSA & if your afraid of a finger in your back side once a year or so, I know early detection works. So get those tests brothers.
Believe me, the car dealerships have been trying to put a lot more than a finger in me recently lol. Definitely get checked, good advice.

Dully

My son had his removed at age 45 no problems ,go to dr.smith at Vanderbilt if you go the surgery route,he supposed be one of the best

rem270

Supporter
Guy I work with was diagnosed last April and had his prostate removed. Didn't have to have any radiation and was back to work in 5 weeks. He is doing great today. He's 59 years old.

My FIL was diagnosed in January of this year and had his removed March 22nd at 72 years old. It took about 6 weeks of recovery and he is doing great now.

Prayers sent up for you.

Mr.Bro

Thanks everyone for your input and prayers. Im 68,still work fulltime The last 5 weeks have been a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Have heard more good reports of having it removed than i have of having major bad side effects. Pretty sure thats the way im going. This is the only way i feel like i have any control. Do the radiation and hope it doesnt come back? Dont believe i want to worry about that for what few years i may have left. May show up elsewhere but not in the prostate if its gone.
Thanks again guys. May God bless us all.

KTS

Supporter
Mr.Bro, you are the same age that I was when I was diagnosed, that was in 2008. They said that on the "Gleason scale", which is a 1 to 10 scale that mine was a 10.
I chose to have radical surgery because of my age and as mine was attached to my bladder also.
I will be 80 next month and my psa has been undetectable since the surgery. I have to wear a pad and no sex life since the surgery.
It's a "really" tough decision but I feel like I chose life over the alternative.
I had a nephew 10 years younger than me that had it and chose to not have the radical surgery but only have prostate removed.
He died 10 years later because it came back.
Best of luck and prayers for you.

P.S. Vanderbilt did my surgery

iowavf

Thanks everyone for your input and prayers. Im 68,still work fulltime The last 5 weeks have been a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Have heard more good reports of having it removed than i have of having major bad side effects. Pretty sure thats the way im going. This is the only way i feel like i have any control. Do the radiation and hope it doesnt come back? Dont believe i want to worry about that for what few years i may have left. May show up elsewhere but not in the prostate if its gone.
Thanks again guys. May God bless us all.
I would agree to your choice and that’s why I went that way. I’m 62 and doing good for the most part. A friend who was four years older had prostate cancer but never got checked out when he had symptoms until it spread. His funeral was July 5th.

Latest posts