Prostate Cancer?

Mr.Bro

Recently found out i have stage 3 PC. Scans show it appears to be contained to prostate for now. I know what the options are. I know what the side effects are. Drs wo
nt tell you what to do. They only tell you the options available and the side effects and more percentages then my mind can handle. I need to know what you did and how was the outcome. Not what you would do! Need to know what YOUR side effects are? Please help me decide which direction to go.Remove the prostate and Lymph nodes? Radiation treatment? Proton Treatment? I have narrowed it down to one of these options. Thanks.

PalsPal

My dad had it 2-3 years ago. I just called him to have him remind me.

He did the proton therapy in Knoxville and highly recommends it. He had no side effects from the treatment. His biggest issue was having a full bladder while in the waiting room awaiting his turn. He'd be about to bust on occasion.

His treatments were 5x/wk for 8 weeks.

Now, he did say that not all doctors did the following, but his did. He put dad on a hormone treatment prior to the surgery and lasted 18 months that is to decrease his testosterone level, as having a high level increases the chance of recurrence.

The downfall to that is my dad's stamina is reduced, but just deals with it.

He'd be glad to to talk with you if you want. PM me and I'll send you his number.

Snake

Supporter
Mr. Bro I’m no help on the decision but I will be praying for your decision and treatment.
Me as well. Just had the Urolift procedure and no mention of cancer here . PSA still very low and have had ultra sounds of prostrate and scoped my bladder . I understand of different options as I had as well but like you said they won't recommend one leaving you with confusion hoping you don't choose the wrong one . One thing I will suggest do your reviews on different surgeons in this field that's feasible know of two former coworkers with cancer two different procedures with two different outcomes . One terrible can't even control his bladder having to wear adult diapers and impotent the other virtually no side effects except at first a little mental side effect with sex but overcome that . Think his wife had alot to do with that . I remember overhearing his conversation saying his surgeon shaved his prostrate to so many micro cm(??) saving alot of it really don't know but they do a sort of shaving the prostrate in reducing the size to help with emptying the bladder which it was one of the different options which I was a candidate for . Ask questions brother don't be afraid to ask and do your homework but I know time is somewhat limited . Will be praying for you and please ask for all to join in . We've got I feel a strong base of prayer here at this site believing Jesus for God to intervene on our problems.

Chiflyguy

My old man had it about 10 years ago.
Had his prostrate removed and a couple rounds of chemo.
Beat that.
Got lung cancer 3 years later.
Got 1/2 a lung removed.
No recourence.
I get my PSA checked every 6 months.
I’m not a praying man but I wish you the best.

DaveB

My Dad was diagnosed with PC and they did the radical thing although he was in his early 70's.

I was in California when the operation took place which was the only notice Dad let out.

Worst decision my Dad ever made. That was from his mouth.

I wont post my advice.

vonb

My dad is in this exact scenario now. His has gone metastatic and has moved into his lymph nodes, pelvis and leg bone. He was given two options 1) Androgen Deprivation Therapy shots every 91+ days or 2) Removal of testicles. Both have the ability to cause "menopause for men". He's adamant he wants to go the shot route. His got this far as he chose to do nothing about it in 2012 when he was told to do something. Wish I had more to offer; you might ask your phyisican to have former patients contact you. I don't know that you'll get their names for you to reach out due to HIPAA regs.

iowavf

My dad has prostate cancer but at his age the doctor wasn't too concerned because of other health issues. My older brother had it and it did get outside of the prostate by the time he knew but they removed it and he did radiation and doing ok now. Since it's hereditary, I started to get my PSA checked yearly along with my other two brothers. Six years ago my younger brother had is removed and last June I had mine removed due to having 5 of the 12 samples test positive. I had the options but asked the doctor if you kill the 5 spots is there still a chance of getting prostate cancer in the future? He said yes there always a chance. I wasn't going through the biopsy crap again so opted to have it removed. Surgery was a piece of cake, the catheter wasn't that bad either after you figured out how to deal with it and get around. My only setback was a couple of the glands they also test while in there didn't heal right and I got an infection which set me back a few weeks. You want to know any other side effects, which there are, pm me and I can fill you in.

DaveTN

Supporter
Please help me decide which direction to go.Remove the prostate and Lymph nodes? Radiation treatment? Proton Treatment? I have narrowed it down to one of these options. Thanks.
I went through it and was frustrated like you because they gave me options, but not opinions on what I should do, until I met my surgeon.

I don’t want to go into all the details here, but if you have a lot of cancer you can probably rule out radiation.

I had mine removed.

Yes, the percentages of problems suck.

How old are you?

You other guys reading this, go get a PSA test. Its simple and if I had caught it earlier it would have been a non-issue.

7mm08

What the heck….. I needed to do some reading today. BTW my Dad had PC at 72 , and died at 92 from heart failure after two heart attacks. He was directed to have radioactive seeds placed into his prostRATE as he always said. He mostly had urgency for about 6 months.

- they are NOT going to give you previous patient’s names
- read some more especially this article.
- you need to know if it’s stage 3 A B or C as outlined in this article.
- depends on your age and what you use your penis for ( seriously). Are you 50 or are you 80? Married , single , etc
- make a decision, discuss with another appt with your board certified Urologist that hopefully trained in the US

GOOD LUCK!

and if robotics is the way you go make sure your doc has a TON of experience, numbers to back it up, and is NOT fresh out of residency!

Snake

Supporter
What the heck….. I needed to do some reading today. BTW my Dad had PC at 72 , and died at 92 from heart failure after two heart attacks. He was directed to have radioactive seeds placed into his prostRATE as he always said. He mostly had urgency for about 6 months.

- depends on your age and what you use your penis for ( seriously). Are you 50 or are you 80? Married , single , etc
- make a decision, discuss with another appt with your board certified Urologist that hopefully trained in the US

GOOD LUCK!

and if robotics is the way you go make sure your doc has a TON of experience, numbers to back it up, and is NOT fresh out of residency!
This man knows !!!!!!

RobDooley

Supporter
two very close friends...both had prostate removed. One had it done fifteen years ago...doing great. The other probably seven years ago....doing great. I wish you well and pray for your strength. May God bless the hands that treat you.

dirtyhands

GOOD LUCK!

My dad had it aswell. He had it removed and is doing just fine. Funny thing is he also calls it a prostRATE even though we make fun of him everytime he does.

Latest posts