Property Improvement Question?

eastTN270

I am thinking of having an area on my place clear cut or select cut. I know absolutely nothing about this. It probably is not a job for a logger as I don't think there is anything much beneficial for them to make money. I have two friends with dozers that also take some stuff to the sawmill at time so I would probably get them to do it.

I'm really looking to improve my property and one thing that I do not see anywhere around is think sancuary cover. The purple striped area are nasty, but with downed trees everywhere, but still a fairly good canapy. Was thinking about having these areas clear cut and just let them go for sancuary, but as I've read I don't want the area to be too big where the deer never have to come out. The area is about 10 acres with the dozer road dividing it in half.

I would also like to try to keep the deer on the south side of the property because I'm the only one there, and away from the other property with hunters as much as possible.

I thought about planting the south side in pines and let the north side be thick. I'm pretty new to this and wanting some ideas and suggestions. Feel free to ask questions. I'm also planning on letting my field grow up, burn, spray, etc. for the old field management article that was posted on here a while back.

This is in east TN with pretty low density. I do see deer on about 75% of my hunts. I am hunting for 2.5 or older deer. The other property that gets hunted brown=down. I have hunted for 10 years and only killed 4 deer off this property. I have seen some pics of some "nice" bucks on or around my place, so I know they are there just want to try to increase my chances.
Farm-withdrawing.jpg

treefarmer

Loblolly pines are inexpensive and will give you cover within 2 years, and you may be able to sell them in the future. Another option is to deaden undesireable trees and leave the few desireable trees to get plenty of cover in a year or two also, and the desireable trees may seed new trees. Another option is to plant tall native warm season grass (NWSG)if feasible, which is great for all kinds of wildlife, including turkeys, quail, and deer, and a portion can be burned every year to keep it maintained. You are right to want security cover to keep the big boys on your land and off the brown/down property.

eastTN270

What do you think would be better: sancuary cover or the planted pines on the side of the other hunters?

Boll Weevil

I'll 2nd treefarmer's suggestion.

You might consider switchgrass if you're already planning on cleaning up the area a bit with a dozer. Grows tall, deer absolutely love the stuff to lay up in, and as was mentioned it also benefits other wildlife.

Latest posts