Professional beggars.....

pressfit

pressfit

Back in the summer I was driving through Athens al and noticed a old brown Winnebago parked in a lot with a "professional " looking sign out front.. wanting to work for food or something similar and also had 2 5 gallon gas jugs sitting under the sign.. I could tell they were just wanting a handout by the setup they had.. well today they were in Pulaski.. the nice looking painted sign said "stuck" will work for food .. and there sat the 2 gas jugs.. except this time they had a car they were towing on a dolly.. with a big dog cage in the back... I'm thinking.. if your stuck.. sell that car. And the dolly and you won't be stuck...

T

TennesseeBob

When I ran my own crew I stopped and offered several people I saw $120 for a good days work ... not once did i have a taker

S

shelbydeer

I give them 40% of my check every week. Not another penny from me.

WTM

WTM

Supporter
Snowwolfe":2qgzn5ag said:
I don’t believe any of them. They are just to fricking lazy to work. I would never give them a penny.

lol why would they work, they probably make more money than most working people. i watched a 20/20 show when they followed around this young girl beggar. after she got done begging she went to her house, changed clothes and went to the mall. she said she made $60k a year begging, tax free.

T

TraumaSlave

I used to make them tell me a joke. If I laughed, they got a buck. Also used to throw my pocket change in the ground so they had to work picking it up. Or, start yelling like a psycho when they asked. Working in downtown Cincinnati, I had lots of opportunities to mess with them. I figure, they spend all day coming up with something to say to get $$$. I started spending time coming up with entertainment for me.

I had two friends who decided to spend a week begging near University of Cincinnati. They averaged $25/hr, 8hrs/day X7 days. Cash in pocket just for asking.

CBU93

CBU93

Supporter
The professional panhandler is a societal leech, along with other social scammers. The truly hungry, homeless, destitute are a different story. We are all two or three bad decisions away from the same circumstances.

S

Smo

It’s sad what some people will try to pull.

I’ve seen what appears to be the same couple of people working an Exit ramp on I-40 for the last year and a half!

I’m almost certain they live in a cheap motel right by the exit.

One ,one day the other the next, or sometimes one at the on ramp.

I haven’t and won’t give them the time of day.

As stated there are programs for people down on their Luck.

But I think they should have to pee in a cup for it ..... just like a working man.

V

Vince

My colleague and all of us at work see this same guy at the same place almost everyday on our way back from lunch with “need food” placard. One day while waiting for signal, he came by my friend’s car, who offered him an unopened bottle of water. The guy asked him “how the f*@& am I supposed to pay rent with this bottle”. He still stands there everyday.

I also had another ‘experience’. A guy in a Lexus was waiting on the ramp (Old Hick Blvd on I-65S in Nashville) and waving hands franctically. Stupid me stopped and rolled the passenger side window down and my wife was petrified if he had a gun or something like that. He said he is from Knoxville and ran out of gas and needed 50$ to get home. Stupid me gave him 50$, also partly because I wanted to move on and didn’t want to have my windows open with my family in my car.

Fast forward a week, and I agreed to meet a Tndeer member in front on Nashville Basspro to pick up a xbow. As I take the exit, this same guy is standing there waving hands, his Lexus parked beside him. I slowed down and rolled window down and he is still saying the same “need to get Knoxville, out of gas” story in the three seconds I passed by him. I wanted to stop and punch him, but moved on. Decided never again to give any money to anyone since that day but still occasionally end up giving a dollar or sometimes five. An inner voice keeps saying “don’t judge their need, God knows better” and I cave in.

S

Smo

My Wife and I donate as well, but that’s completely different than some a- wipe working the same street corner everyday.

I’d much rather see a Hooker on the corner...... at least she’s willing to work! LOL

Yotehntr

Yotehntr

I sat at a stop sign just in time to see a man and woman getting something out of their car. Then they came to the curb with their backpack and guitar... guess they needed the backpack to walk 75' to the curb and start begging. I haven't donated since, mentioned it to a guy who works at a homeless shelter he advised if you want to help real folks in need give to the shelters.

M

Mike Belt

Evidently those working the parking lots of stores are pretty forgetful. I've had a couple occasions where the same guy with the same story in the same parking lot has approached me for money.

D

Dale3

Live in Mt.Juliet ,Hunt Jackson county(Gainsboro)
Many years ago I was at a loading dock downtown Nashville Loading a trailer. I hear someone whistling Dixie, then I see a guy stick his haed around looking at me in trailer and he asked if I could help him out(wanting money).
About the same time a employee who worked at this place comes out to run the guy off He says to the Hobo "get out of here you d#@m ol Hobo", to which the Hobo replied
"Your just mad you don't have balls enough to be a Hobo".
I was ROTFL, I said here Five bucks for making me laugh :lol:

duckriver

duckriver

Yotehntr":1a6fz17u said:
, mentioned it to a guy who works at a homeless shelter he advised if you want to help real folks in need give to the shelters.

This, the Nashville Rescue mission is a good one

duckduck84

duckduck84

I locked enough of them up back in the day to know they are just about all full of crap. One guy left every winter and went to Florida and then came back in the Spring. He'd tell us all about it.

My favorite was the couple I watched get out of their car, make themselves look all disheveled and then walk 30 yards to the corner and beg. She was leaning on the guy looking all sad. The ones who really need help have options for the most part, the rest of them just enjoy that way of life.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

KPH

KPH

Supporter
I don't give to them just tell them I will take them to the nearest mission or what ever agency that will help them, never had to take one yet. There has been a few I felt sorry for like the one who tried to sell me a pair of baby shoes ,could tell he wanted drugs.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
Years ago when I was living and working in Memphis I would go to the road where all those auto dealerships are because of our family auto auction business. Every single day that I drove though in the 5 day work week in the morning I would see the same man standing at the light coming off the interstate and everyday in the afternoon he would be at the light to the onramp o the interstate. He had a TON of people driving by every day but Saturday and Sunday he was no where to be found.

On Sundays I would usually go to my Dad's for lunch and to watch the ballgames. One Sunday I was reading the Memphis paper and I came across a large color picture of that same guy. He was dressed in a brand new green uniform, green cap and he had a picture ID badge on his left pocket. The story said that the City gave him a beggar license and uniform, first Dad and I had ever heard about it.

That is NOT all the story had about him. He was married, 2 sons in college, had a 5 bedroom with 3 bathroom house, 2 autos and 1 truck, a camper, bass boat and they took a vacation every year down to the Gulf for a few weeks in some of the winter months.

In the 25-27 years since I read that article I have never given any money but I have offered work to people ever telling them right off I would pay cash and would ever pay for their lunch, others I said I would feed them right next door to where they were standing. NOT A ONE ever accepted my offers. All they wanted was the money.

Another thing. After reading that article some of the auto dealers over on that highway ran some numbers. By setting at one light when people were coming to work and the other in the afternoon while people were going home that guy was seeing close to 5,000+ people a day, most of them worked the area but some were auto customers. They told me if just 100 people gave the guy $5 then that's $500 per day in cash. Don't forget this was back in 1990. $2,500 per week in cash was very good money back then.

double browtine

double browtine

I don't give them anything. I saw these same 2 guys begging in Clarksville, on fort Campbell Blvd. I saw them for several days. One afternoon on my way home, I got behind a city bus. Well, it stopped, and those two guys got off with an arm load of Walmart sacks, and each had a huge 30 pack of natty light beer. They were talking and laughing as they walked away.

H

HuntingDicksonDTC

R.I.P.
Was a guy that I saw everyday at the bottom of Charlotte Pike exit ramp by the Gulch. Didn't see him for a few weeks. Watching TV one morning there he was on a Bart Durham commercial thanking Bart for getting him a settlement where he was hit by a car. Guess he found a better scam.