• Help Support TNDeer:

Problem with ar’s

dralarms

You know, since all them black rifles look the same if you have more than 1 caliber in an ar how do you not grab the wrong ammo in an emergency situation?

2in1shot

Personally know a guy that had a 300 BO round in the middle of a 30 rd mag of 556. The bolt locked up enough and the 300 BO went off. Lots of energy came out the mag well and the barrel partially split. The gun manufacturer sent him a 2” long 110 gr 22 cal bullet that they cut from the barrel as a souvenir. He walked away unhurt.

dralarms

Well I though Color coding would work. I mean, say 300 bk, use white paint on the inside of the ejection port cover and then use the same white paint on the bottom of the mags. I’d hate to hear of someone getting hurt or trashing a gun due to the wrong ammo. That would really suck.

Omega

On a range trip I check to make sure they match, the 5.56, 300Blk and 277WLV are similar, so they are labeled in their boxes, and I use green mags for 5.56, black for 300Blk, and Tan for my 277WLV. In an emergency, just grab a case and go, they are already matched there.

dralarms

On a range trip I check to make sure they match, the 5.56, 300Blk and 277WLV are similar, so they are labeled in their boxes, and I use green mags for 5.56, black for 300Blk, and Tan for my 277WLV. In an emergency, just grab a case and go, they are already matched there.
That’s what I was talking about, if I had multiple calibers I’d mark the mags with the caliber, color coded to the rifle and placed in a box with the caliber on the box in the same color as the marking on the gun.

brassmagnet

A Sharpie will fix that, I don't get in that much of a hurry, if I'm in a defensive situation, I know what weapon I have in my hands. 1911 to get me to a rifle or shotgun. If 10 rounds of 12 gauge or 30 rounds of 300blk after 22 rounds of .45acp hasn't solved my problem, I have a knife, I'll never fight fair, and I'll fight by myself if I have to. I've decided to not be a good victim years ago.

Mag

In an emergency situation (BO) my ar and loaded mags would already be staged for easy access. That is IF I owned such a rifle :) .......

....... but since I do not own any rifles of any type or have any ammo I guess I don't need to worry.....there you go Feds, no need to come looking here,

Crow Terminator

That’s actually one of the problems I ran into with having a Ruger American in both 17 HMR and 22 Mag, both topped with the same scopes. They even use the same magazines. I had to really watch what I grabbed because I had Hornady VMax bullets for both...both of which are red tipped too. I sold the 17 and kept the 22 Mag but I had to look closely before heading out when I had both.

I don’t handle or see my guns every day like I would drive my vehicle or see kids. My guns stay in the safe 99.9% of the time. That wasn’t a very good comparison IMO.

dralarms

That’s actually one of the problems I ran into with having a Ruger American in both 17 HMR and 22 Mag, both topped with the same scopes. They even use the same magazines. I had to really watch what I grabbed because I had Hornady VMax bullets for both...both of which are red tipped too. I sold the 17 and kept the 22 Mag but I had to look closely before heading out when I had both.

I don’t handle or see my guns every day like I would drive my vehicle or see kids. My guns stay in the safe 99.9% of the time. That wasn’t a very good comparison IMO.
That’s what I was saying. I guess I’m not just smart enough to know which one is which when I don’t see them often enough.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.