Pretty Cool Deer - 3.5?

Southern Sportsman

I've pretty much made up my mind that this deer is 3.5. I have also pretty much made up my mind that if I see him, he may not make it to 4.5. Although I would LOVE to see what he turns into next year, I have not had good luck retaining deer over multiple years on this farm, and I don't think I could resist the temptation anyway. What say yall?

SelphLogging

I personally think this deer is 4.5+ which would indicate that this deer has probably reached 90%+ of its potential, which is probably what docpoco meant, that this deer is most likely 4.5+. But I'm not putting words in his mouth, that's my assumption.

SelphLogging

Well, over the last few years, a couple buddies and I have started to pay attention more tithe deer brought in to one of my buddies processing shop. He processes 800-1000 deer every year, and one common thing we've come up with in aging deer, is nothing works for aging deer consistently. I killed a 140lb field dressed, 119.5" 10 pt this year that I know for a fact was 6.5, through years of trail photos. And his teeth showed 5.5-6.5. Then, we might see a 180lb field dressed 3 yr old (teeth) come in with 4.5"+ base mass, 140". It's actually crazy the variances in body size to teeth wear, to body appearance, to mass, to other aging characteristics. The only true statement is that you cannot age a deer in any one way. Period.

O2outdoors, or however it's spelled, put a bizarre post on a thread the other day, referring to body weight. And had a 10lb increment per age. That's ridiculous logic. As I said, I've seen multiple by the hundreds that are 4.5+ with body weights under 150, and the opposite for 3 yr olds with body weights over 170. I believe it takes a trained eye to just naturally point out an age of a trail cam photo buck, or on hoof buck, and to give an at best guess of age. They are all over the board once they reach 3.5 and older.

Good time Charlie

Well said ,I agree with everything ,even the weight thing..which was ridiculous.
Aging deer is just a guess.Even the teeth aging is like 50 percent right.

DMD

SelphLogging":20uo6rx4 said:
Well, over the last few years, a couple buddies and I have started to pay attention more tithe deer brought in to one of my buddies processing shop. He processes 800-1000 deer every year, and one common thing we've come up with in aging deer, is nothing works for aging deer consistently. I killed a 140lb field dressed, 119.5" 10 pt this year that I know for a fact was 6.5, through years of trail photos. And his teeth showed 5.5-6.5. Then, we might see a 180lb field dressed 3 yr old (teeth) come in with 4.5"+ base mass, 140". It's actually crazy the variances in body size to teeth wear, to body appearance, to mass, to other aging characteristics. The only true statement is that you cannot age a deer in any one way. Period.

O2outdoors, or however it's spelled, put a bizarre post on a thread the other day, referring to body weight. And had a 10lb increment per age. That's ridiculous logic. As I said, I've seen multiple by the hundreds that are 4.5+ with body weights under 150, and the opposite for 3 yr olds with body weights over 170. I believe it takes a trained eye to just naturally point out an age of a trail cam photo buck, or on hoof buck, and to give an at best guess of age. They are all over the board once they reach 3.5 and older.

I absolutely agree with this post. Deer are like people in that they come in all different shapes and sizes. You can pretty clearly tell a year and half old and two and half old deer by body shape. After that, you can do some "guessing" at deer age by body shape - but it is just a guess. The weight thing you describe here is preposterous. I have killed younger bucks that far outweighed some older bucks that I have killed. Some deer have short bodies, some have long bodies. Again - like people - there are various factors.

SelphLogging

docpoco":3p6ftj1x said:
SelphLogging":3p6ftj1x said:
docpoco":3p6ftj1x said:
Best research says he has hit 90% of his antler potential.

What are you basing this off of? That is a vague statement, and just curious what indicates that this deer has reached 90% of its potential?

QDMA. They have done studies that look at antler growth, year over year. Of course, every deer is different.

https://www.qdma.com/articles/will-he-b ... -next-year

Predicting_Antler_Potential.jpg

You never put an age estimate on your post, so I didn't know what you were basing your research from. I assumed you meant 4.5, as I mentioned in another post, but i didn't know.

Latest posts