Press question

fullstream

If you were to advise a person on there 1st press purchase which would you recommend? I have been looking at the rock chucker supreme. Plan on using for sizing bullets for sml and loading 6.5 & 300blk to start. Appreciate the feedback.
Steve

backyardtndeer

Went with a hornady lock n load kit here. Only been reloading about 10 years. A lot with way more experience than myself. Would buy the same again without hesitation though, zero issues or complaints with the press and hornady has excellent customer service. No experience with the rcbs rock chucker press, sure it is a good press, but cannot say as I have only used the one I have.

DaveB

Nearly all of the RCBS/Redding/Lee/Hornady/Lyman single stage presses will fit your needs. Look at the RCBS rockchucker supreme as a typical example of what you need.

If you had more than say 3 calibers you might want to look at other versions but remember, the single stage press will function perfectly for decades so invest wisely.

Keep all points of lubrication lubed up once a year but the ram needs lube according to your use. You can tell when the Ram is in need.

If you decided to purchase a 300 WinMag be aware that cartridge does not fit into every press SS or otherwise. Exercise care and judgement not just for your present needs but what you might be doing down the road. For example you can load pistol rounds in a ss press-I know, I did. And then we shot up several days worth of work in about an hour. In general, for pistol you want to consider a progressive press ([1] are you handy [2] are you detail minded[3] progressive presses need TLC until you know the ropes).

An in-person mentor is most desirable but help can come from youtube and this website or others--I like handloadersbench.com

Hunter 257W

I got a Rock Chucker press back in 1979 when all I was loading was 30-30, 44 Magnum and 22-250. Later in 1996 when I bought my own house I wanted another full set of loading tools there also so I got another Rock Chucker so I could have a full set up at home and on the farm. The fact that I bought the same press again shows what I think about it. I've loaded tiny stuff like the 22 Hornet and up to 460 Weatherby's with the long Barnes 600 grain bullets. It handles them all with ease.

I'd recommend staying away from progressive loaders until you are very familiar with all the steps in loading your own ammo. Then if you shoot a lot of handgun ammo and need that kind of quantity a progressive is a great time saver. I got 2 of the original Lee progressives. I got two because I didn't want to do any set-up when changing the cartridge I was loading for so I got one for 9mm and another for 45 Colt. The Lee presses where cheap enough to justify that.

Omega

As I said on another thread, I recommend the Lee Turret, taking the indexing rod off, it can be used as a single stage, but going from station to station is as easy as turning the turret, but if you want to try and make it semi progressive, you can. I have the Rock Chucker for swaging, and that is because I don't need to change out dies often, and yes it is rock solid, but priced accordingly.

fullstream

Appreciate the feedback guys, thank you.
I went with the rock chucker as I believe it's perfect for sizing sml and my loading needs. Gonna stick with single stage til my learning curve flattens a little.
I have a good friend who has been loading forever and has been guiding me through my set up. I know it's the worst time to start but that's about par for the course for me lol.
Im sure I'll have a bunch more questions and do appreciate the advice given on here.

steve

Latest posts