President's island

Oked

It's been 13 years since I started buying points and cashed my 12 points in for president's island. I've heard good and bad but I guess I'm going to find out . Scout Thursday and hunt Fri, sat, and Sunday. Not sure what to expect since I don't have any direct input from anyone who has hunted it recently but I'm going to try to find some travel corridors and sit daylight til dark for 3 days. I'll keep you guys posted. Any input is greatly appreciated.

DoubleRidge

I've never been but a buddy and I are building points and hope to go in the next year or two. Most reports are along the lines of "the island isn't what it once was" and from harvest records that's obviously true...but don't let that get in your head...there is still a great opportunity at a good buck....and an opportunity to experience a hunt that few will....scout hard, hunt hard and adjust as you go. Good luck on your hunt!

CBU93

It's been years since I hunted it but, IMO most hunters head straight for the river. And that works, I would look at possible escape routes coming back or fight the crowd and hope "your buck" comes to you. Don't get overwhelmed with buck sign, it can and should be everywhere you look.

An all day, three day sit is a mental test…be prepared if you don't do it very often. That is tough!!! Be prepared to shoot a lot further or closer than you would think. I would think a saddle or easily mobile loc on would be preferable over a climber. Pray for cold weather and low wind, no rain.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

double browtine

I hunted Ensley unit years ago. Only thing I can recommend is carry a thermocell! I know it's December and it's colder. Well the 2 mornings I hunted the frost was as thick as a light snow. Around 1030 in the morning I see these bugs flying down, I guess from the treetops. I hunted till 1200 and then climbed down the tree in my climber. The mosquitoes tore into me like crazy and it was 45-50 degrees. Now it was wet that year, but no more than they weigh, I would throw one in your pack. Cause I have never seen them that bad anywhere else I have ever hunted or been in the outdoors!

Good luck!

swd

I hunted Ensley unit years ago. Only thing I can recommend is carry a thermocell! I know it's December and it's colder. Well the 2 mornings I hunted the frost was as thick as a light snow. Around 1030 in the morning I see these bugs flying down, I guess from the treetops. I hunted till 1200 and then climbed down the tree in my climber. The mosquitoes tore into me like crazy and it was 45-50 degrees. Now it was wet that year, but no more than they weigh, I would throw one in your pack. Cause I have never seen them that bad anywhere else I have ever hunted or been in the outdoors!

Good luck!
I hunt in West TN (Fayette and Shelby county along the Wolf River) most of the year. I have not seen any mosquitos since October, but to your point, better to have it and not need it!!!

Gravey

I hunted it last year on the first hunt and it absolutely sucked. So much so that buddy and I didn't even hunt Sunday. Didn't mean to pick that hunt but I screwed up. It was hot and nothing moving. To get in a tree I'd take a saddle or a lock on as straight trees are hard to come by. Everybody heads deep but don't overlook areas up close. I believe they said the biggest deer or one of the biggest ever killed was across from where TWRA is set up at the entrance. Have fun and hope you have better luck than we did. I hunted ensley unit in 2008 and had a great time.

fairchaser

I'm not sure why but it seems hunters can't catch a break on the weather for this hunt. Rain predicted all weekend. Best of luck to all who drew tags.

Bone Collector

I'm not sure why but it seems hunters can't catch a break on the weather for this hunt. Rain predicted all weekend. Best of luck to all who drew tags.
yeah it has been bad the last couple of years. seems if this forecast holds they will have upper 30's Friday but then 52 Saturday. Chance of rain on Sunday, but the AM temps look ok. Wind will be blowing a bit too.

Big Gun

I hunted it last year on the first hunt and it absolutely sucked. So much so that buddy and I didn't even hunt Sunday. Didn't mean to pick that hunt but I screwed up. It was hot and nothing moving. To get in a tree I'd take a saddle or a lock on as straight trees are hard to come by. Everybody heads deep but don't overlook areas up close. I believe they said the biggest deer or one of the biggest ever killed was across from where TWRA is set up at the entrance. Have fun and hope you have better luck than we did. I hunted ensley unit in 2008 and had a great time.
This.
I saw a 160s 10 point in the area across from the twra check station when I hunted there in 2011. He was locked in with a doe and never got closer than about 80 yards.

megalomaniac

You don't have to sit in a tree the whole day... PI is one place I've been to that you have a legit chance of stalking a deer from the ground and sticking an arrow in him. They tolerate WAY more human scent than most deer.

As far as hunting the funnels leading away from the west side of the island where everyone hunts... dont bother. Those deer don't spook a half mile away after a human bumps them. They just move 100y and settle back down.

And yes, the tiny block of woods across from the check in station as well as the larger block of woods behind the check in station are legit places to kill a deer.

Good luck! But that place is nothing compared to what it was before the big flood that killed most of the deer.

Oked

In my stand this morning, had a good day scouting, seen 2 shooters . One about a 150 inch 10 and the other a 140 inch 8. I think be will make the 20 inch outside rule for 8 pointsers. Seen him about dark yesterday evening right where I hung my stand. The big 10 was up by front gate. I'm hunting in the south east area by the lake.

DoubleRidge

In my stand this morning, had a good day scouting, seen 2 shooters . One about a 150 inch 10 and the other a 140 inch 8. I think be will make the 20 inch outside rule for 8 pointsers. Seen him about dark yesterday evening right where I hung my stand. The big 10 was up by front gate. I'm hunting in the south east area by the lake.
Great report! Good luck hunting!

Latest posts