Presidents Island

Redwing

So I'm looking at The Hunters Toolbox and checking Pres Island results from last year. 380 Hunters and only five Deer! that's it?? 2011 was seven, prior to that it was 30 to 40. Number of Hunters hasn't changed that much.

Andy S.

Something seems amiss with those numbers, like maybe last few years are buck only kills while the 30-40 kill years are buck and doe. I'd have to look at the data to form a better conclusion, but my initial reply would be my first guess. I can promise the hunters have never killed 30-40 bucks on PI & Ensley combined in a single weekend with a bow.

Andy S.

Flood was 2011, drought/record low water conditions was 2012. Here are a few pics we took while out surveying the MS River during the record flood of 2011, pretty sure it was middle of June after the water had receded somewhat.

Andy S.

Hillbilly Hunter said:
which unit is the best?
FWIW, I put in for "Presidents Island - excluding Ensley Unit" every year, which is the main PI unit to us locals. Don't get me wrong, there are magnum caliber deer to be killed on both units, I just prefer the bigger parcel of land and the layout a little better than the Ensley Bottoms Unit.

Winchester

Poser said:
Andy S. said:
Hillbilly Hunter said:
which unit is the best?
FWIW, I put in for "Presidents Island - excluding Ensley Unit" every year, which is the main PI unit to us locals. Don't get me wrong, there are magnum caliber deer to be killed on both units, I just prefer the bigger parcel of land and the layout a little better than the Ensley Bottoms Unit.

I agree with Andy. The Ensley Unit can be problematic for these types of hunts. Some years you may need hip boots to hunt it, plus its fairly small and, from the first hand reports I have heard, the scouting pressure can easily chase many of the deer out of the area. Big deer are killed there, I'd just rather have the acreage of the island proper to distribute pressure more evenly.
Good advice, I hunted Ensley a few yrs ago and the scout day alone sends many of the mature deer scampering across the Levy and gone! I watched literally a dozen mature bucks leave myself.

TheLBLman

Winchester said:
I hunted Ensley a few yrs ago and the scout day alone sends many of the mature deer scampering across the Levy and gone! I watched literally a dozen mature bucks leave myself.
Where did they go, i.e. onto PI or onto private land that wasn't part of the WMA?

Poser said:
The Ensley Unit can be problematic for these types of hunts. Some years you may need hip boots to hunt it . . . . .
But for those experienced in hunting the swamps and backwater of the Mississippi, needing those hip boots could turn into a big advantage.

easy45

Poser said:
Wes Parrish said:
Winchester said:
I hunted Ensley a few yrs ago and the scout day alone sends many of the mature deer scampering across the Levy and gone! I watched literally a dozen mature bucks leave myself.
Where did they go, i.e. onto PI or onto private land that wasn't part of the WMA?

Poser said:
The Ensley Unit can be problematic for these types of hunts. Some years you may need hip boots to hunt it . . . . .

If I thought if would get me closer to some of those monsters I would have know problem
But for those experienced in hunting the swamps and backwater of the Mississippi, needing those hip boots could turn into a big advantage.

True, deer do live in those conditions. Anyone who has hunted in the Hatchie bottoms can attest to amphibian deer, but, do most hunters want to spend their PI hunt in thigh deep water?

Latest posts