President's Island Status???

TN Larry

Anyone know what the island looks like this year? I've already got some information from a member here, and it appears it is planted in beans. When was the last time it flooded?
I have put in with my son the past few years to guarantee a no draw and considering when to start putting back in. I have 12 points right now. I am not sure what the point status is but know that it is close. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post.

deerfever

I have 11 points and really don't know what to do. I started putting in for the island hunt of course when I was a much younger man and didn't think a thing about driving that far as I love to hunt big deer. Now my desire to drive 5 to 6 hours to hunt with a bow at a place with a 9 point rule restrictions has just went way down. I don't even know what to do, if it was still a once in a lifetime hunt I could probably make myself get the motivation up to travel that distance if drawn but everyone seems to say it has went way down. The problem is there is absolutely nothing else on the choices that I would want to burn 11 points on. The agony of it all! Lol, Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated! I may not even get it with 11 points anyway. It would be nice to know how many people had more points than me and what the island looked like ,beans or not.

Bone Collector

I have 11 points and really don't know what to do. I started putting in for the island hunt of course when I was a much younger man and didn't think a thing about driving that far as I love to hunt big deer. Now my desire to drive 5 to 6 hours to hunt with a bow at a place with a 9 point rule restrictions has just went way down. I don't even know what to do, if it was still a once in a lifetime hunt I could probably make myself get the motivation up to travel that distance if drawn but everyone seems to say it has went way down. The problem is there is absolutely nothing else on the choices that I would want to burn 11 points on. The agony of it all! Lol, Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated! I may not even get it with 11 points anyway. It would be nice to know how many people had more points than me and what the island looked like ,beans or not.
I'm getting to a point where I am starting to feel the same way, but it is only like a 3-3.5 hr drive for me. I will keep applying, but secretly hope they open some Mid TN dream hunt, to cut down deer population. Then I may burn my points on that. Right now PI is the best option, so I will keep applying. I only have 8 pts I think, so I am still years out from getting drawn. I am 45 now so I will probably be 50 by the time I get drawn. This weighs on my mind as well. How physically able will I be?

bobbuck

I have 11 points also and I live in St. Thomas USVI. If I draw I will have to fly in probably around Thanksgiving and either borrow a bow or buy one. Spend some time practicing at my farm in Fentress county. Then drive across the state to go on a hunt I really don't care about at this point in my life. I will hunt from the ground because I do not use a stand anymore, and if I actually got lucky and killed something not sure what I would do with it. I gave away all my trophies when we left the states so probably do a euro and give to a friend. My wife thinks I have lost my mind for continuing to put in for the hunt, but it was something I dreamed about years ago.

Bucket

Keep in mind that Shelby County is in Unit CWD, so a deer would have to be de-boned and skull plate completely cleaned before it could leave the unit. Could be left with a taxidermist/processor/HFTH as well.

deerfever

Keep in mind that Shelby County is in Unit CWD, so a deer would have to be de-boned and skull plate completely cleaned before it could leave the unit. Could be left with a taxidermist/processor/HFTH as well.
Yep , another knockdown for me that I didn't even think about! Geeze, I may hold on and hope for a dream hunt like Bone collector is talking about. I keep hoping for something new on the sheet each year but I don't know that will ever happen.

DoubleRidge

Buddy and I have 10 points currently and we both primarily hunt private land...and there's not really any other draw hunts that interest us so I'm going to stay the course with PI....hoping the Ag has returned or will return and hoping for no major floods....we will camp, scout hard, hunt hard and if we connect great, if not, it won't be for lack of effort......"we've come too far down river to paddle back now"

nthawoods246

The hunt was well worth it when I was last drawn in 2010. My Bro-n-law works over that way at the railroad and every now and then will tell me sick stories of monster 10 and 12's that he's seen running around.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
IMG_2289.JPG

I work about a mile from the Ensley Unit. This one was hit last year around this time. It had a good start for sure, there are still some good deer.

Latest posts