Powder vs. Pellets? Top bullets? For Muzzleloaders

BSK

Pellets are fine until you crack on loading it. Then the burn rate can change dramatically and produce a "flier" in a shot grouping. Loose powder burns more consistently.

BSK

You're saying when the pellets break apart they are less accurate?
Some brands of pellets have a hole through the center of them. They are intended to burn from the center outward. If you crack a pellet, the burn gets into that crack changing the burn rate of the entire pellet, hence changing the speed of the bullet out of the barrel, which can result in an odd "flier" when target shooting (or shooting at an animal). Back when pellets first came out, many shooters mentioned the pellets were great, except now and then they would get an odd flier in their groupings. Cracked pellets were the reason.

Emca80

Some brands of pellets have a hole through the center of them. They are intended to burn from the center outward. If you crack a pellet, the burn gets into that crack changing the burn rate of the entire pellet, hence changing the speed of the bullet out of the barrel, which can result in an odd "flier" when target shooting (or shooting at an animal). Back when pellets first came out, many shooters mentioned the pellets were great, except now and then they would get an odd flier in their groupings. Cracked pellets were the reason.
Any tips on preventing cracking?

slabhead

I shot some white hots last year and they seemed to work just fine. Cleaning was much easier compared to 777.

philsanchez76

Interesting. Thx for mentioning. I'll have to be a little more careful when loading.

BSK

Any tips on preventing cracking?
What JCDEERMAN said. Mark your ramrod and don't push down too hard. You don't want an air pocket between pellets, but you don't want to break the pellet either. Or better yet, go to loose powder.

Last edited:

Tenntrapper

Last year was first year with muzzy in over a decade. Bought an Optima v2, and what components I could find. Ended up using a 240g xtp over 100g triple 7 pellets. Worked well enough for a kill at 100+.
This year, with the help of another forum member, Ill be trying the Precision Rifles Dead Center 195g 35 cal bullet in a double sabot. Website says 110g of triple seven loose, so that is where I will start. Speaking of which, I better get busy testing. If it doesn't work out, I will use last year's load.

Latest posts