Powder question

Lost_dawg

So I am just trying to get some feedback from everyone. Do you notice a difference between using loose powder as opposed to powder pellets?

Wiley

I tried pellets in my Remington 700ML several years ago and never had any combination of pellets and bullets that would group. 100 grains of loose Pyrodex Select under a Barnes 300gr Expander would shoot 3 holes touching at 100 yards but neither Pyrodex pellets nor Triple 7 pellets in that same weight would get anywhere close. That turned me off to pellets.

casjoker

I haven't tried pellets in years but when they first came out (late 90's maybe or at least when I became aware of them) 5 or 6 of us tried them and we couldn't get any of the rifles (various manufacturers) to group consistently with the pellets. Maybe the pellets are better now but I have always had good luck with 777 loose powder so that's what I stick with.

CharlieTN

It's certainly hard to beat the convenience of pellets and with a good speed loader setup it can be a bit faster to load but with loose powder you can absolutely dial in a more accurate load.

The bit questions is whether you need that more accuracy. If you're hunting the thick woods of East Tennessee, the added accuracy of loose powder probably won't make a difference at all. If you're stretching out your shots then I would definitely look at loose powder and take the time to work up your most accurate load.

CHRIS WILSON

Some rifles will shoot pellet loads well, some will not. If you really want to fine tune your rifle to get the most accuracy out of it, loose powder is the way to go. It can be surprising to see how much difference only a 5 gr shift in load volume or weight can make in how a rifle shoots.

Latest posts