Powder measurer vs. trickler

Nsghunter

I still haven't bought a trickler or any powder dispensing system.

I am now ready to order so it's between the Lee powder measuring kit or a Hornady powder trickler.

Which one would you recommend and why?

Here is the Lee KIt : https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Po ... lee+powder

Here is the Hornady trickler: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hornady- ... s?slotId=1

Or do you recommend one of the other powder tricklers?

Here is a link for all that Cabela's carries : http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categ ... zstype=REG

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Jcalder

I use the powder scoop way more than I use a trickler. Something I noticed with the hornady trickler is it's all plastic. Very easy to knock around. I would glue something heavy on the inside. I have an older rcbs trickler. I glued a bunch of oddball bullets inside to give it weight. Done the same with my scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr.big

I set my dump about 1/2 grain light then trickle up to the exact charge,,unless I am loading bulk AR ammo and then I just dump it in the case,

fairchaser

It's hard to beat the electronic RCBS powder trickler and scale combo. It's programmable so that it will remember your loads and count them as well. I feel like it's extremely accurate as well.

Hardwoodmaterials

I use a Lyman 55 to dump close then a Frankfort Arsenal trickler to finish up the last couple 10th's. The FA trickler is pretty heavy which really helps keep it from being tipped over or moved around too easily.

Nsghunter

fairchaser":2x5c6bnr said:
It's hard to beat the electronic RCBS powder trickler and scale combo. It's programmable so that it will remember your loads and count them as well. I feel like it's extremely accurate as well.

You mean the chargemaster?

fairchaser

Nsghunter":2rpk8eqk said:
fairchaser":2rpk8eqk said:

You mean the chargemaster?

Yes!

Urban_Hunter

You have two entirely different products you are comparing.

The scoops are to measure powder by volume to be dispensed into the case, or theoretically onto the scale. The trickler is to add very fine amounts to the scale to reach the desired charge. The scoops, which measure by volume, are not very precise with certain powders, especially stick powders.

What equipment do you already have? If you have a scale, which in my opinion you absolutely need, then the trickler can be very beneficial. The scoops may help get you close to the charge you want, but the trickler will then help you get to the desired weight.

Nsghunter

Urban_Hunter":1ugxa0kn said:

The scoops are to measure powder by volume to be dispensed into the case, or theoretically onto the scale. The trickler is to add very fine amounts to the scale to reach the desired charge. The scoops, which measure by volume, are not very precise with certain powders, especially stick powders.

What equipment do you already have? If you have a scale, which in my opinion you absolutely need, then the trickler can be very beneficial. The scoops may help get you close to the charge you want, but the trickler will then help you get to the desired weight.

I guess I should have been more descriptive.

I want a product that will make it more simplistic to apply powder to my scales therefore making it faster to handload. I use a dipper from my die set or a plastic spoon to dispense the powder onto the scale. this is very tedious then because I either end up with a little to much or too little and must dump my scale out and try again it its over. it can take a VERY long time to simply load one round using this ridiculous method :bash: .

I understand they are different systems, one is a dispenser and the other is a type of measuring device.

infoman jr.

I've used a Frankfort Arsenal trickler for the past year. I don't have any complaints for what it is. That said, it's still painfully slow to load ammo that way. I have a Chargemaster Lite on the way.

KPH

It is all you get use to. I used a trickler for along time, bought a RCBS chargemaster . Took along time to start using it keep going back to the dump tube and the trickler. Finely started using the chargemaster and liked it.

DaveB

I am no help. I use a beam scale set to my exact weight, a Lee plastic die case cover filled with powder, an RCBS trickler loaded to the top, and a plastic spoon.

I weigh a charge then when it is exact I dump it into the spoon. I study that result and will spoon out a charge and weigh then repeat until I can get the spoon charge nearly perfect. From then on I spoon and trickle.

You would be amazed at how fast you get the charge in the spoon to be nearly exact.

I know it is archaic and not so fast but it works for me.

Urban_Hunter

Nsghunter":oruh5d4x said:
Urban_Hunter":oruh5d4x said:

I guess I should have been more descriptive.

I want a product that will make it more simplistic to apply powder to my scales therefore making it faster to handload. I use a dipper from my die set or a plastic spoon to dispense the powder onto the scale. this is very tedious then because I either end up with a little to much or too little and must dump my scale out and try again it its over. it can take a VERY long time to simply load one round using this ridiculous method :bash: .

I understand they are different systems, one is a dispenser and the other is a type of measuring device.

Gotcha. If an electronic dispenser/scale combo is out of the price range the next best thing would be a thrower. The Lee Perfect Powder Measure would work perfect and is pretty affordable at around $25. It will throw +\- 0.5 grain or better and then the trickler would finish it offs. This is what others are talking about, set the throw a little light and then trickle to desired weight. Under $40 you would vastly cut down time spent charging cases. If you are loading bulk ammo for AR's the throw is accurate enough to charge directly to the case, spot checking every 10 or so charges for weight.

vonb

I can throw with a Lee PPM, trickle and weight the charge faster (and be more accurate) than I can dump charges with my RCBS Chargemaster 1500. The Chargemaster sits for the most part and was one item that I can say wasn't worth the money to me.

Latest posts