Poult report 2022

catman529

Have seen 8 different sets if hens last few day not a single poult among them
8 groups of hens or 8 individual hens? In the woods or in fields by the road? I typically see a few by the road with no poults every year. Most of the hens with poults spend a lot of time in the woods or tall weeds this time of year, where I never see them from the truck. I didn't even see any poults this year until I stepped off in the woods.

knightrider

8 groups of hens or 8 individual hens? In the woods or in fields by the road? I typically see a few by the road with no poults every year. Most of the hens with poults spend a lot of time in the woods or tall weeds this time of year, where I never see them from the truck. I didn't even see any poults this year until I stepped off in the woods.
Singles, groups just 8 different times with no poults, im on twenty different farms every week with my job all across two different counties and so far I've seen two poults out of dozens of hens last three-four weeks. Very sad and frustrating

Buzzard Breath

I've been seeing several hens, but no poults in Maury, Lewis, and Marshall Counties. But, things are grown up and they could easily be there and I'm not seeing them. What I have been seeing is loads of chicken manure coming up into Maury County. Make of that what you wish.

SES

I've seen one hen with one poult on my place. Several hens with none. I saw 5 coons one night in the back yard and a red tailed hawk is constantly patrolling back there. It actually tried to get one of my dogs the other day.

Last edited:

Wrangler95

Hot dry weather is bad for gardens but great for turkey poults.Neighbor told me today that he saw a hen that had a few poults already big as small chickens and a hen in their yard with several small poults!😃

SES

S
I've seen one hen with one poult on my place. Several hens with none. I saw 5 coons one night in the back yard and a red tailed hawk is constantly patrolling back there. It actually tried to get one of my dogs the other day.
Scratch my poult off the list. My son saw the hawk get it about 20 minutes after I posted this. I've looked online and can't find any crockpot recipes for hawk, so it's safe for now.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Saw a good bunch of poults and one hen eating the wheat heads in my fall plot yesterday. 6-8 poults. Seen two other hens with poults in the neighborhood with similar numbers of poults as well, WAY WAY more than past 6-7 years. Usually I will see 2-3 poults with 4-5 hens. I don't often see too many poults until August, so I'm hopeful there's good things coming. Can't for sure say why, but I do know that none of the lease hunters on any of the leases nearby hunted the first two weekends this year. Great weather for poult raising this year too.

SPickle

Post your poult reports over the summer here. If you're not comfortable naming county, just name a general region of the state.

Middle tennessee - I just walked up on two different hens in the same woodlot.

The first one had between 7 and 9 poults, and they could already fly.

The second hen had at least a dozen poults, and they flushed like a covey of quail. All poults big enough to fly. The hens did not fly away, they walked away slowly calling to their young.

Side note, this was on one of the WMAs supposedly "ruined" by hunting pressure. Another good hatch it looks like. My garden doesn't like this hot dry weather, but it's great for poults. Hopefully the later opener next year will help the areas that are actually hurting.
Seen so may poults so far. Add that to the 45 plus Jakes I witnessed over the stupid 2023 two bird limit! LGB and FTWRA!

Crappieaddict

Saw these yesterday.

Attachments

• B493178C-B767-4921-843B-63F98130A9AA.jpeg
    B493178C-B767-4921-843B-63F98130A9AA.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 46

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
By far the best year I've seen in 6-7 years. Most of the hens I see have poults, and haven't seen one with less than 5-6 that has poults. Nice weather, but that doesn't account for it all. Haven't talked to anyone that is trapping predators more than before. The only thing I have seen that's dramatic is that not one single lease had hunters on it the first two weeks of the season in my area.