Postseason Baseball

Displaced_Vol

XM (National) broadcast says that should have been an out, haven't seen it yet. I've been listening 15-20 minutes maybe and it sounds wild.

Displaced_Vol

Well damn. Got to see the 9th on TV, listened from the wild 4th inning on. Tough one to swallow seems it got away from us but what a season. Lot of fun I'll have more comments nobody cares about later.

Gravey

Got to see a little over half and not the way I wanted it to end but heckuva season. Just hope we can keep Vitello as the rumors are swirling about him leaving for LSU and he didn't come out and say he's not going anywhere in the post game interview.

Displaced_Vol

Here's his postgame, great video. The elephant in the room answer wasn't much of an answer from him, which is fine. I believe whole heartedly he has been focused on this team and this season up until this point, and I am not naïve enough to expect him to come out and fully declare he's never leaving UT for any reason and he won't even think about anywhere else...LSU is going to call and he's going to take the call. I do think (maybe its hope disguised as rational thought) he stays in Knoxville. I'll be anxiously checking the phone for the next few weeks I know that.

Other random thoughts:

Pete Derkay had a real good 2 games here. Nobody else really stood out to me but I haven't looked at any stats. I didn't get to see any of Tidwell's innings yesterday but seemed like they got on him early. This could have been a really good experience for him and I expect big things from him next year.

It seemed like Vol fans really showed up in Omaha and I know things were juiced in Knoxville. Great to see it and I don't think its solely a product of a football program in the crapper. College baseball is a great product. I like that its got a real southern vibe, and it's not stretched out over 9 months like the MLB. I used to be a big MLB fan (Dodgers) but for a lot of reasons, not the least of which were the political stances, I let MLB fall by the way side. (I know plenty of college athletics went down this road too but that's another topic in itself and this post will ramble enough as it is)

Baseball is tougher to sort through recruiting and the draft and all that noise so I'll have to research at some point and see who will be around next year and who we expect to show up. TV's recruiting effort has received high praise so I am expecting another competitive team.

I am conflicted in the excitement and satisfaction of a really good team putting together a great season, and the disappointment of 0-2 in Omaha. I'll talk out of both sides of my mouth here but I heard and read all season that UT really punched above its weight class. From a talent perspective we didn't have the roster that some clubs had, but we found ways to win. Even though we took losses to Vandy and Arkansas, the way we competed those two weekends solidified our place amongst the contenders. So, on that note and looking at the rest of the field in Omaha this year it's hard to not think it is a missed opportunity. The NCAA baseball tournament is so unique in that it combines elements of other tournaments. Most seasons a basketball team just get hot at the right time and make a run to the final four. With the round robins and 3 game series in baseball it eliminates some of those "upset" possibilities (those are more rare in the pros, over 7 games the better team wins out the majority of the time) but not entirely. It was fun to watch and keep up with and I am still tuning in to the rest of the CWS.

JCDEERMAN

GO DORES! I was depressed the entire game until the last 5 minutes. Overall, a very poor performance and a boring game. They don't have the offense they have had in the past. I'll take it for now, but don't think it will last much longer.

Displaced_Vol

GO DORES! I was depressed the entire game until the last 5 minutes. Overall, a very poor performance and a boring game. They don't have the offense they have had in the past. I'll take it for now, but don't think it will last much longer.
Vandy gotta be better than NC state but they seem to be a hot ball club right now. Should be a fun one to watch

jag1

Here's his postgame, great video. The elephant in the room answer wasn't much of an answer from him, which is fine. I believe whole heartedly he has been focused on this team and this season up until this point, and I am not naïve enough to expect him to come out and fully declare he's never leaving UT for any reason and he won't even think about anywhere else...LSU is going to call and he's going to take the call. I do think (maybe its hope disguised as rational thought) he stays in Knoxville. I'll be anxiously checking the phone for the next few weeks I know that.

Other random thoughts:

Pete Derkay had a real good 2 games here. Nobody else really stood out to me but I haven't looked at any stats. I didn't get to see any of Tidwell's innings yesterday but seemed like they got on him early. This could have been a really good experience for him and I expect big things from him next year.

It seemed like Vol fans really showed up in Omaha and I know things were juiced in Knoxville. Great to see it and I don't think its solely a product of a football program in the crapper. College baseball is a great product. I like that its got a real southern vibe, and it's not stretched out over 9 months like the MLB. I used to be a big MLB fan (Dodgers) but for a lot of reasons, not the least of which were the political stances, I let MLB fall by the way side. (I know plenty of college athletics went down this road too but that's another topic in itself and this post will ramble enough as it is)

Baseball is tougher to sort through recruiting and the draft and all that noise so I'll have to research at some point and see who will be around next year and who we expect to show up. TV's recruiting effort has received high praise so I am expecting another competitive team.

I am conflicted in the excitement and satisfaction of a really good team putting together a great season, and the disappointment of 0-2 in Omaha. I'll talk out of both sides of my mouth here but I heard and read all season that UT really punched above its weight class. From a talent perspective we didn't have the roster that some clubs had, but we found ways to win. Even though we took losses to Vandy and Arkansas, the way we competed those two weekends solidified our place amongst the contenders. So, on that note and looking at the rest of the field in Omaha this year it's hard to not think it is a missed opportunity. The NCAA baseball tournament is so unique in that it combines elements of other tournaments. Most seasons a basketball team just get hot at the right time and make a run to the final four. With the round robins and 3 game series in baseball it eliminates some of those "upset" possibilities (those are more rare in the pros, over 7 games the better team wins out the majority of the time) but not entirely. It was fun to watch and keep up with and I am still tuning in to the rest of the CWS.

Nice post and agree with much of it. Still follow my Cubs for 35 years now. Never watched much college baseball until this year. With daughter at State and former kids now playing on the collegiate stage I'm paying more attention. It's been fun. Hail State!

Displaced_Vol

Congrats to Miss State. Their first NC in anything I think? Definitely didn't see that one coming. They're a good ball team I think that got hot at the right time. I cant help but wonder if the NC State fiasco messed with Vandy's mindset. It certainly wasn't their fault but I just wonder.

JCDEERMAN

Wasn't surprised at all of the outcome. Vandy has played flat since the regionals started. This was the outcome I expected and can't even believe they made it half as far as they did. Definitely didn't deserve to win by any means. Too many errors on defense, bad pitching and no offense. I turned the game off in the 6th.

Happy for Miss ST - they earned it. Go DORES!

tnanh

Got to see a little over half and not the way I wanted it to end but heckuva season. Just hope we can keep Vitello as the rumors are swirling about him leaving for LSU and he didn't come out and say he's not going anywhere in the post game interview.
LSU never wanted him or contacted him. He and his agent were just playing ut for money and contract. He finally admitted he had no contact

PalsPal

LSU never wanted him or contacted him. He and his agent were just playing ut for money and contract. He finally admitted he had no contact
Good!

But, just because he didn't have direct contact doesn't mean that his people and their people didn't have back-door conversations.

I was pulling for Miss St., but I do think that the NC State deal caused a lot of people to root against Vandy.