• Help Support TNDeer:

Possibly adding an acre

Moonman

Long story short my cousin told dad that she wants to sell her 1 acre that was parted out of the original 45 that I got 44 of. When we've visited since then she said it'll be in the will for us to get back. She lives in upper east TN and we are lower. I called her and she said 7500. I was like what did you say and she's got these offers through the mail saying I'll give you x. Well my step mom and father that lives across the road said yeah things are selling good (shot me in the foot). Called him up after she told me and asked him about it. Well I brought up me buying hers because I would like to know what's going to happen across the road and if they had it in a will to which the reply is its none of my business until they die. To back track I have a step mom which never adopted me. She has 60- 70 acres in her name only that came to her because her sister died which my aunt and uncle sold for under value to her. My dad bought 80-90 from them also, but we lived with them and it included barns tractors etc. So when they got married when I was 6 he added her. When the sister died when I was 14 the mom gave her the adjoining and never put dad on it. Fast forward to now. After asking about the acre and buying it I told my dad allot depends on what's going on across the road and if he has it in a will. My response was its non of my business and I'll find out whe they die. So I feel he's in the early stages of dementia based on several things, which makes me scared. I have a half sister that has went against her upbringing and would sell. Ultimely I feel he may be in bad health. My step mom would then have the ultimate say in everything. I can't get him to not be with her and brought it up about the future of their land. I'm at a point today to say I'll sell it just because they don't want to be open with me and I don't want sister to sell it and have houses. Any suggestions of what would you do or had the same thing happen?

RS

Whew, I got a little lost reading that. I’m not sure if you’re trying to buy an acre or sell some? Originally it sounded like you wanted to buy a acre, but maybe got frustrated in dealing with the family, and are now looking at selling what you already have?

shane37110

Whether that land is solely in your stepmother's name or not it became half your father's the moment she said "I do!" Talk to some estate lawyers in your area to make sure you're not getting cheated.

fairchaser

Sounds like the typical family. If it’s this much hassle now think what it’s going to be when wills and estates are involved. More than likely some will die without wills and it will complicate even further. When land and money are involved people get greedy real quick. I would just focus on what I’ve got and not count on anything else. If you want to buy the acre, go for it.

Snake

Supporter
Whew, I got a little lost reading that. I’m not sure if you’re trying to buy an acre or sell some? Originally it sounded like you wanted to buy a acre, but maybe got frustrated in dealing with the family, and are now looking at selling what you already have?
I am confused as well , sorry no opinion here .

Hunter 257W

I got lost in the details too but the way I understand the big picture is that you currently own 44 acres and a cousin owns 1 joining acre that you'd like to have. The cousin wants a price that may be too high for that 1 acre, which is $7,500. Although that may be too high, it's still just $7,500 to get the peace of mind that you will own that land and it won't get sold to some stranger who will build a house there right up against your 44 acres. I'd pay the price and get that land without hesitation if it were me. Once a house it built joining your land there is no turning back.

Gravey

I got lost in the details too but the way I understand the big picture is that you currently own 44 acres and a cousin owns 1 joining acre that you'd like to have. The cousin wants a price that may be too high for that 1 acre, which is $7,500. Although that may be too high, it's still just $7,500 to get the peace of mind that you will own that land and it won't get sold to some stranger who will build a house there right up against your 44 acres. I'd pay the price and get that land without hesitation if it were me. Once a house it built joining your land there is no turning back.
Agreed. $7500 is cheap here. They sold an acre and a half beside me a year ago for $60k. Couldn’t bring myself to do it and sometimes wish we had but my wife knew the couple and they’re great neighbors.

Chiflyguy

Sorry guys. Us Damn Yankees are driving the prices up.
This Damn Yankee is moving in about 2 years from now but I’m leaving the Yankee up north.
I bought 2 acres with a half done house, electric and septic a little over a year ago. About 30 miles south of Cumberland Gap National Forest.
The day I did the first walk through, there was junk all over the property, 3 feet of hay, wasps chasing me around. I had the biggest smile on my face. I told the real estate agent get the paperwork started. She thought I was nuts.
To this day, I’m thankful.

7mm08

I’d pay $7,500 all day to get the entire track mine....... seeing how I was given 44 acres of the 45 for free!

she could sell that ONE acre to a Yankee anti-hunting liberal and that ONE ACRE could become a red hot pulsating boil on your butt forever!

Last edited:

eddie c

$7500.00 per acre on small tracts is a bargain. 1-5 plus acre home sites was bringing this amount over 15 years ago.
Yep.
30 years ago I passed on $14k for an acre in north Jackson only to regretted it 5 years later when the person that did buy it split it into 1/4 ac lots and sold each for $7500.